Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

Just bought a 2003 Tundra, 2WD auto. The PO was very meticulous in the care of the truck and states he never towed anything or even carried any loads in the bed.

I am a bit concerned about the following: The torque converter seems to engage at a higher RPM that would be normal. I can even feather the gas pedal and rev the motor up and down ever so slightly while coasting without the transmission engaging.

Sometimes I can also feel a very vague shudder when taking off. It doesn't seem to happen all the time.

Is this normal behavior for the transmission? Thanks in advance for any info about this issue.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'd say check/change the fluid, burnt smelling or brownish color is bad, and look at the magnets in the pan. Sounds like it's slipping. If still the same after fluid change some suggest auto rx, I have seen results from Lucas tranny additive. Good luck, how many miles on the truck? The internals were upgraded in 03 I believe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The internals were upgraded in 03 I believe.
I thought it was 04?

I had the a similar problem, my fluid was burnt and nasty.. thats how i got it from the PO but i just replaced 4 quarts of tranny fluid every week for 3 weeks and hope it lasts. its been 2 months like this.. but ive already got money saved for a new one:td:

oh and i think its normal to smash the gas real quick and it will just rev high and not engage i think its supposed to do that.. mine does it but i could be wrong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there - been a while but thought I would post an update: I did some more research into the chattering and slipping and thought it may be related to the LSD.

I changed the oil in the LSD and put in the friction enhancer I bought from the Toyota dealer parts dept.

Jeebuz!! It is a completely different truck now. No more chattering when taking off from a stop (particularly when the wheels were turned), no more vague slipping at low speeds, no more occasional lurching when taking off. The truck drives so much smoother and I anticipate my gas mileage will increase a little too seeing as my engine seemed to "hunt around" in the RPMs before the tranny would "catch."

When I changed the fluid I saw an itty bitty sticker that said LSD on the differential. They need to make this sticker much larger along with a small mechanical hammer that comes out and hits any mechanic who changes the fluid and does not add the LSD friction enhancer on the head . :)

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Don't you just love those stickers? Like they're really going to stay on the
pumpkin forever or something! Happy to see you found the problem.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts