Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys hows it going. Blew the rear in my 2003 toyota tundra sr5 v8 with 116k miles on it. Didn't think it would blow so some but sh!t happens.
Attached is a picture below, the spider gears got so chewed up there was next to no teeth on them. I'd like to rebuild the rear end with oem or aftermarket parts. Everything involved in the carrier/pumpkin.

I been looking for a rebuild but can't find a full kit anywhere. Any input?

Info:
2003 Toyota Tundra Sr5 V8
3.91 gears non-locking with Abs.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Are you looking to do this yourself, or have a shop do the work?

Cuz you would need to move the ring gear and bearings over...Which requires some specialized tools...Then theres the whole knowing how to setup the backlash with the proper shims, and reading the tooth pattern..etc...

Plus, with that much carnage and shrapnel floating around in there, I would consider new bearings, and definately having the pinion & ring inspected for damage...

Pick up any 4x4 magazine, and there will be ads all thru it for places that sell/install gear kits and lockers/LSDs.

If you dont offroad, and you just need to get it back on the road, the cheapest, easiest and quickest bet would be to locate a good used complete 3rd from a salvage yard and bolt it in. (After having it inspected by someone who knows diffs.)

Take a look at these two sites (by the same guy), to see what is involved:

Erik's Toyota Differential info

Toyota Gear Installs

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
How fast do you need this? I'm working on rebuilding a spare rear end with my my detroit locker. Right now, i have a complete third member with a factory lsd and 3.91 gear. Another option I have is an open carrier with 3.91 gears. You'll need to have it rebuilt into your pumpkin. So you'll need a master install kit.

For the open carrier with gears $40 plus shipping.

For the complete third with lsd, $100 plus shipping but, it'll be a couple of weeks before i can have this shipped out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How fast do you need this? I'm working on rebuilding a spare rear end with my my detroit locker. Right now, i have a complete third member with a factory lsd and 3.91 gear. Another option I have is an open carrier with 3.91 gears. You'll need to have it rebuilt into your pumpkin. So you'll need a master install kit.

For the open carrier with gears $40 plus shipping.

For the complete third with lsd, $100 plus shipping but, it'll be a couple of weeks before i can have this shipped out.
Are you still re-building rear ends?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts