Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriends 03 tundra suddenly started making a rumbling and a loud whining when in gear upon acceleration in first gear only.
it does seems to disappear after it shifts to second gear in the automatic tranny.
it does not do it in reverse. it seems to be louder when under load and when the truck first starts moving it feels like a tire issue almost. the rumbling is followed by a whining noise that is pretty loud under even moderate acceleration. it changes right as it shifts..kind of higher pitch and then is gone in a second.
no warrantee at this point and i am guessing maybe something to do with a band in the first gear section of the tranny. any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Could be exhaust related. Any ticking noise at idle?

Get some AutoRX and run that through. See if it persists.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Is the tumbling a sound or a sensation? Can you pinpoint where it is coming from (underneath you, from the front of the truck, from the rear?)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 04 2 wheel drive. I have a whining noise but only in 1st gear. As soon as it shifts to 2nd, it goes away. When I slow down, and it shifts to 1st, I hear it again. A mechanic friend(works on classic cars mostly) thinks it could be a bearing in the transmission. Haven't had a chance to take it in anywhere yet to find out. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
i no that most auto trans make a whining noise in first gear, fords especially. i only hear it in mine if i let it wind up in first and let the gear come back down but its mostly normal. its possible it the tail-shaft bearing because my ranger always made the noise and then when i got rid of it the tail-shaft bearing was starting to fail more and leak. and i would only make the noise in first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed the bushing and seal in the tail of the trans a few months ago. I noticed this whine about a month ago. I took the drive shaft out and there is no leak, and no wear on the yoke. I also put the rear axle on blocks and put it in drive. It appears the noise is only when a load is on it. It happens at any acceleration, and deceleration, but only when trans gets to low/1st gear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Noise in first gear only goes away when in second is a problem with the planetary gear set or the bearings for the planetary gear set. The various clutches and brakes in the transmission are what controls the power that is applied to the different portions of the planetary gear set giving you different gears. Rumbling noise is usually a broken / chipped gear. Whining could be result of excessive wear. Slight whine is ok, very noticeable not so much....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts