Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my Revtek spacer with a real suspension in the front. I would like to keep the lift between 2 and 2.5 inches.

From the threads on this site, it seems that a popular option is the Bilstien 5100. My problem is that my OEM springs are probably compressed because of the Revtek spacer being in there for 5 years.

So for me to do the 5100 and replace the OEM springs + labor to build the coilover, I'm looking at about $615.

Sway-A-Ways are only $100 more and come assembled and ready for install.

Can anyone provide input as to whether the Sway-A-Way (Camburg) are worth the extra money? thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not very experienced with truck suspension set-ups but I'd rather replace the stock set-up with something nice and new, adjustable and rebuildable versus 5100's and new stock springs. I like replacing stock crap with something aftermarket unless the OEM option is way better.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
^^Ditto^^I don't have experience with 5100s or SAW, but I recently switched from a Revtek spacer on the factory setup to Bilstein coilovers. It went from bouncing over bumps to soaking them up. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had the Bilstein 5100's on my truck, and now I have the Camburg (SAW) 2.5" coilovers. If you don't do a lot of off-roading, I would go with the 5100's and just try to find some inexpensive coils. Call Sway-A-Way (818-700-9712) and ask them if they have a size that's the same as our stock coils, most of their coils are cheap (under $100 each)....
...But if you do a lot of off-roading, you might want the SAW's. They're stiffer than the 5100's and ride a little rougher on the road, but soak up big bumps like crazy! It would also be a smart idea to get uni-ball UCA's with these and that's at least another $528.00 (Wheeler's).
You won't be disappointed with either one of these set-ups, you just have to consider what you'll be using them for, and if you want the UCA's to get maximum performance out of the SAW's.

Also: Bilstein 5100's on ebay are about $230 shipped. If you can get coils for around $200 and install them yourself with a strut compressor, that's a lot cheaper than the $615 you were thinking. :tu:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Never had the Bilstein 5100s but my Camburg C/O are nite and day difference from the Revtek spacer I started with. Still need to save up my pennies and get UCA's to help smooth out the travel of the shock not to mention my ball joints prolly don't appreciate the more extreme angle I am putting them at by lifting the truck 2.5. I would say if you have the money and will do some more extreme offroading, like high speed apps go with the camburgs otherwise just get the bilsteins. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. I really don't do much offroading, except for the occasional excursion.

Thanks also to the guys who commented that the 5100 setup is a way nicer ride than the Revtek spacer......that makes me feel like it is worth the $ and effort. The ride I'm currently experiencing is horrible.

Cheers, Matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you can put them in yourself Some one like Les Schwab should put your 5100s together for like 40 bucks. Im pretty sure i was charged $40. I thought it was worth the money.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
You wont be disappointed in the ride if you go with Bilsteins. I run them and it doesn't matter if I'm cruising on the freeway or bouncing around in the dirt. Ride is nice and they take a surprising beating for how cheap/simple they are. If your needs are pretty simple(lift and ride nice), this is the winner.

If you want more off road action, sway-a-way may be a good choice too. It is nice to toss them in, adjust height with them installed, and go. Keep in mind you wont have to adjust the height too often, but it is nice to do it with the coilovers on the truck. Can't be done with 5100s, slight downfall. Plus Sway-A-Way come in red.

Keep in mind, with Sway-A-Way you will be getting a stiffer spring than your truck comes with stock, this will ride a little different but it isn't unacceptable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts