Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: We have a 2004 4.7L Tundra 4X4 Limited Access Cab with 43,500 miles. Love the truck! In the past few months I have noticed a puff of blue smoke when starting after letting the truck sit for a day or two. We had a '92 Camry which did the same thing at 55,000 and it had to have its valve stem seals replaced. Am concerned that the same thing is happening to the Tundra. I have always used Mobil 1, 5W-30 in the truck (changed every 5000 miles) and was wondering if maybe the oil is too thin when cold and leaking past the seals. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
hard to belive the valve stem seals would be bad with your reported milage. im stumped. is your exhaust tip sooty on the inside? and i mean oily/wet type of sooty?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 1995 Avalon with 181,000 miles on it. It started doing this at about 170,000 miles and it's now in for service to have all new gaskets and seals. I had three mechanics look at it and all of them said a gasket/seal was leaking oil into the cylinder heads. They said the smoke is the oil burning out of the cylinders. All of them said it doesn't hurt the engine, but did require me to add about two quarts of oil per month.

I'm only getting it fixed because it was getting a bit embarrasing. The bad news is that, at least on the Avalon, this is an expensive fix.

Mine would usually only do it if it has sitting for more than about 3 hours. Strange thing was that it didn't always do it.

By the way, I tried a LOT of different oil weights and additives...nothing worked.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree, your truck seems to new and too low mileage for this. Couldn't hurt to make sure your PCV system is free and clear, as a blockage can cause excess crankcase pressure that drives the oil into the cylinder(s).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts