Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
My suggestion is to take it to the dealer. In an area like this, a mistake could be VERY costly. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Look it up in your Factory Service Manual and follow those instructions???

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is by no means a difficult task, if you change your own oil you can handle this. Go to the dealer to pick up some ATF, probably type T-IV, should be five-six bucks a quart, and you'll need four. Jack up your car and drain the transmission via a drain plug, I believe it's a 10mm hex key. If the fluid isn't red you've found something else.... I drain into a funnel into a 5quart jug so I can see how much came out. That much goes back in, via a funnel and the dipstick. Take a lap around the block and re-check the level.

This replaces half the fluid in the tranny. If you're at the 100,000 mile toyota recommended service, you'll need to do this 2-3 times. Personally, I just swap out half every 30-40,000 miles. I'm surprised there isn't more help in this forum, the 4cyl highlanders of the same vintage have the same engine/transmission as you, and there is tons of info on this in that forum.

The flushes you get at the delership/jiffylube are questionable. There is little control over the amount/pressure of the fluid being pumped in, and even worse over what fluid is being recycled/pumped into your engine. Anywhere besides the dealer will probably use a universal ATF which is not good for your slip controlled lockup torque converter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also just drain my fluid from the drain plug in the transmission and re fill the same amount. I have a 2006 camry and I have switched to mobil one synthetic fluid so far so good I have always used type 4 and I just figured that type 4 is probably a semi snythetic fluid full synthetic should work. I had a 86 cressida which I used synthetic fluids through out and got 429,000 miles and every thing was original motor trans power steering and rear end my 1991 ls 400 lexus is closing on 300k all fluids are synthetic and so far no problems .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your filter should be changed by a trans shop or the dealer since 2002 Toyota is now using a filter instead of just a screen so the filter also has to be changed I would have the trans serviced about every 20,000 miles not past 25,000 miles or your are looking for expensive problems. also don't forget to change out the power steering at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.