Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2004 Double Cab Tundra with cloth bucket seats - no power adjustments. Over the years the seat cushion (the one on the bottom, not the backside) has completely lost its 'fluff' and cushion and sagged.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Anyone know how easy it would be to replace or add more foam or material to the base of the seat to revive its life?

Or if I look into getting a replacement seat, where would I start?

If I go to a junk yard/salvage yard to find one, does anyone know what range (in years) of the Tundra's might have the same seat size/layout as my '04 DC

I really don't want to pay for a whole new seat from Toyota - but would consider another used one or even an aftermarket one if there area any that people have experience with and would recommend for a daily driver - I'm not looking for a fancy Mastercraft seat with a 5 point seatbelt or anything like that.

Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
819 Posts
You could buy some Wet Okole seatcovers and just slip some foam under the seatcover, like that eggcrate foam stuff for beds to get the support you want, cheap and easy, right?

I have them on my truck and I slip a piece of foam in it for nice Lumbar support.

If, in time, my seat bottom were worn out, I'd slip some foam underneath it to get what I wanted for my tush.

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
I have the same problem, I haven't done anything about it yet, but I found that you can buy JUST the bottom cushion from toyota for around $125 I think. Then you just have to take apart the seat, remove the cover, and replace the cushion yourself.

·
Registered
568 Posts
seats really easy to take apart. I would get under there and see what is going on. I had 186 k and my foam was still intact. I bet it has moved on yah,

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
if it is just the height you worry about ...like others suggested...it's real easy to remove the factory cloth and add additional foam...I would add it right on top of the springs and under the factory foam so as to retain the seat shape....but you can try it both ways.....you can also check out my thread here about removing the seat and cover....I did so in order to put in aftermarket ROSTRA seat heaters...theres a step by step PDF file attached to the first post

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but is saved my butt (and back). The seat sagged so badly I had to do something ASAP.

I went to the my thread here (see quote below) which showed great pics to help me fix my seat.

The four bolts separating the seat bottom from the seat frame took a bit of feeling around to find, but came right off. The wiring was a little tricky, but essentially came unclipped and untaped without removing any plug-in do-dads. The tabs underneath only had to be bent about 90 degrees, hopefully they will withstand the bend back, so far just left them. The various long clips take a little patience but do come off. Turning the seat upside down and compressing the foam was imperative for giving enough slack to get everything on and off.

I saw no reason to separate the cover completely from the foam, it is glued on toward the back. The springs and wire were OK, BUT the plastic separators keeping the wired aligned had slipped from the middle, allowing the center to sag. They easily slipped back into place. (I had taken off the passenger seat with the intention of swapping them, but decided to just use it as a guide to compare with my alleged fix). To shore up the flattened foam, I cut leftover carpet padding about 1' square, two pieces, to put between the springs/wires and the cover/foam. I put a couple flattened cereal boxes between the wires and padding to keep it from getting shredded. To clarifiy, the layers in order were springs/wires-cereal boxes-carpet padding (2 layers)-cover/foam. Standing on the frame compressed everything enough to allow the cover to slip on and clip into place fairly easily.

Result: AWESOME! The seat feels just like the passenger side, and I can see over the steering wheel now.

Took about 2 hr., including time wasted taking off trim and figuring out WTF to do. The only trim that must be removed is the knob; I removed more than I needed to. Once the knob is off, I had to flex the cover a bit to get it over the post the knob is on.

Next job will be shoring up the backrest, but raising the seat seemed to improve my seating position overall.

Thanks to everyone for all the information to get this done! Saved me hundreds of $$ (and empowered me :D)

if it is just the height you worry about ...like others suggested...it's real easy to remove the factory cloth and add additional foam...I would add it right on top of the springs and under the factory foam so as to retain the seat shape....but you can try it both ways.....you can also check out my thread here about removing the seat and cover....I did so in order to put in aftermarket ROSTRA seat heaters...theres a step by step PDF file attached to the first post

1 - 6 of 6 Posts