Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do you hve a service manual? My Haynes manuals covers 00-06 Tundra. The rear shoe adjuster mechanisms cover the star nut. I'm thinking your parts are not assembled correctly. I just refreshed mine a couple weeks ago. All new shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, bell cranks, even brake lines between T block and each wheel cylinder. Now everything works like it should. It hasn't braked this well in a long time. HTH

(2002 Limited 4WD V8 275k miles)
Yes, I have the manual. Two of them. Both show the adjuster on top of the parking brake lever. The Limited and/or 4WD must be different. Mine is a 2WD SR5. I found a you tube video showing a Tundra with the same configuration as mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm replacing the wheel cylinders and shoes on my 2004 Tundra (2WD V8) and I'm confused by the parking brake mechanism. Not only does it not adjust once I put the spring back in place, but my brakes don't match images I've found online nor does it match the dealer's diagram. However, the dealer did confirm I have the correct part number. Here's a pic of my setup. The adjuster lever is mounted to the back side of the rear shoe opposite the parking brake lever. It will not advance the star wheel when I pull on the brake cable. My parking brake has never actually worked amd I'm wondering if it's because I have the wrong part. I don't see how it could work the way it is. The end of the adjuster is jammed up against the shoe, so how is the lever supposed to move? Here are a couple pics. Driver and passenger side shown (sorry if this confuses things).

View attachment 154649
View attachment 154650
I'm replacing the wheel cylinders and shoes on my 2004 Tundra (2WD V8) and I'm confused by the parking brake mechanism. Not only does it not adjust once I put the spring back in place, but my brakes don't match images I've found online nor does it match the dealer's diagram. However, the dealer did confirm I have the correct part number. Here's a pic of my setup. The adjuster lever is mounted to the back side of the rear shoe opposite the parking brake lever. It will not advance the star wheel when I pull on the brake cable. My parking brake has never actually worked amd I'm wondering if it's because I have the wrong part. I don't see how it could work the way it is. The end of the adjuster is jammed up against the shoe, so how is the lever supposed to move? Here are a couple pics. Driver and passenger side shown (sorry if this confuses things).

View attachment 154649
View attachment 154650
The parking brake mechanism doesn't move the brake adjuster. It is the movement of the rear brake shoe when you are going backwards and step on the brake. Every time you reverse and step on the brake it will automatically adjust the wheel on the adjuster and turn it a notich thereby taking up the slack between the brake shoes and the drum. You can try moving the top of the rear brake shoe and see if that turns the star adjuster.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you hve a service manual? My Haynes manuals covers 00-06 Tundra. The rear shoe adjuster mechanisms cover the star nut. I'm thinking your parts are not assembled correctly. I just refreshed mine a couple weeks ago. All new shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, bell cranks, even brake lines between T block and each wheel cylinder. Now everything works like it should. It hasn't braked this well in a long time. HTH

(2002 Limited 4WD V8 275k miles)
The parking brake mechanism doesn't move the brake adjuster. It is the movement of the rear brake shoe when you are going backwards and step on the brake. Every time you reverse and step on the brake it will automatically adjust the wheel on the adjuster and turn it a notich thereby taking up the slack between the brake shoes and the drum. You can try moving the top of the rear brake shoe and see if that turns the star adjuster.
Pulling on the intermediate cable when the large spring is removed advances the star wheel, but when I install the spring everything is too tight.

For my truck, pulling on the parking cable pulls the parking lever which then pulls on the opposite shoe containing the adjuster bracket. If there is enough slack between the shoes and drum, the adjuster will be able to raise high enough to rotate the star adjuster one or more clicks. My adjuster is collapsed all the way yet applying the parking brake does not advance the star adjuster even though the bell cranks are pulled up to an inch off the backing plate. There is no slack in the cables and the shoes are dragging, albeit not consistently through wheel spin (because I believe the drums are warped).

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 154649
View attachment 154650
Not sure if this will work! but its what i do on mine!! hold the foot brake down while pushing the parking brake. it takes the pressure off the adj and should roll easier. worth a try.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not sure if this will work! but its what i do on mine!! hold the foot brake down while pushing the parking brake. it takes the pressure off the adj and should roll easier. worth a try.
I actually thought of this today, but haven't tried it yet. Sounds like it should work in theory. I'll try it tomorrow and post back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I have the manual. Two of them. Both show the adjuster on top of the parking brake lever. The Limited and/or 4WD must be different. Mine is a 2WD SR5. I found a you tube video showing a Tundra with the same configuration as mine.
I don't know. Your first pic is a puzzle indeed. It almost looks backwards compared to mine/Haynes. Your second pic shows a very different adjusting lever on the opposite side. Something's clearly different. (shrug)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The parking brake assembly self adjusts when you are backing up and apply the brakes at the same time.

View attachment 154649
View attachment 154650

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
The parking brake assembly self adjusts when you are backing up and apply the brakes at the same time.
Check out this video. Something isn't right. The adjuster shifts upward and gets jammed when it's supposed to push on the opposite pad amd advance the parking lever bracket and star wheel. It isn't clear why this is happening. It looks like when the left shoe moves enough, the large spring that attaches between the two shoes pushes up on the adjuster and causes it to jam. Maybe I have the wrong spring on the wrong side? Here is the drivers side spring:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I put the new drums on and adjusted the star wheel much more than before and at least the parking brake holds now. A little more shoe drag than I wanted but nothing excessive. The dang auto adjust mechanism still doesn't work. Maybe just a bad design. Apparently they only made a couple trucks with this style and I was lucky enough to get one :/

·
Registered
296 Posts
I put the new drums on and adjusted the star wheel much more than before and at least the parking brake holds now. A little more shoe drag than I wanted but nothing excessive. The dang auto adjust mechanism still doesn't work. Maybe just a bad design. Apparently they only made a couple trucks with this style and I was lucky enough to get one :/
Weird that they would make a different setup. The other one works just fine when the cable is adjusted properly. Seems odd that something is getting hung up in that video. I don’t remember if you specified. Were the replacement parts oem or aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is this something specific to 2wds? I’ve never heard of a Tundra using the reverse + brake setup to adjust. Everywhere I’ve looked (forums and videos) they adjust while setting the parking brake. This is how mine adjusts. I’ve watched the mechanism do it’s job on my drums. I just haven’t had my drums off in years so I’m not sure on the visual differences between my 4wd and OP’s 2wd that’s pictured.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Weird that they would make a different setup. The other one works just fine when the cable is adjusted properly. Seems odd that something is getting hung up in that video. I don’t remember if you specified. Were the replacement parts oem or aftermarket?

Everything is OEM but the drums, which are Brembo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe you can get replacement levers consistent with repair manual. Meanwhile, I'd at least try assembling with 180 flip so adjuster covers star nut. See if that possibly works. Just a thought, but, it could've been messed up when you got it. I'd focus on correction more than just making it work as is. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maybe you can get replacement levers consistent with repair manual. Meanwhile, I'd at least try assembling with 180 flip so adjuster covers star nut. See if that possibly works. Just a thought, but, it could've been messed up when you got it. I'd focus on correction more than just making it work as is. But that's just me.
I went to parts.Toyota.com and was able to find the correct diagram that shows the setup I have. I ordered new star adjusters because I believe they were updated. And I noticed a c-clip that attaches to the lever that is not present on my brakes, so I ordered those as well. Will post back with the outcome.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went to parts.Toyota.com and was able to find the correct diagram that shows the setup I have. I ordered new star adjusters because I believe they were updated. And I noticed a c-clip that attaches to the lever that is not present on my brakes, so I ordered those as well. Will post back with the outcome.

View attachment 154678
I hope it works for you.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts