Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What I was hoping would be a routine brake pad replacement job became a more serious one. I started with the right front wheel and that went smooth. The left side was quite troubling. After removing the pads, I was not able to push lower inside caliper piston. The 3 other piston moved in fine. I tried bleeding but it just would not budge. I put the old pads again and pumped the brake pedal hoping to loosen but still it would not push in. The calipers are quite expensive so:

1. Is there a way to loosen the piston?
2. Is this a broken caliper that needs to be rebuilt?
3. Where can I get rebuild parts?
4. Is there a DIY link someone has previously done?

TIA
Manny.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello,

What I was hoping would be a routine brake pad replacement job became a more serious one. I started with the right front wheel and that went smooth. The left side was quite troubling. After removing the pads, I was not able to push lower inside caliper piston. The 3 other piston moved in fine. I tried bleeding but it just would not budge. I put the old pads again and pumped the brake pedal hoping to loosen but still it would not push in. The calipers are quite expensive so:

1. Is there a way to loosen the piston?
2. Is this a broken caliper that needs to be rebuilt?
3. Where can I get rebuild parts?
4. Is there a DIY link someone has previously done?

TIA
Manny.
Have you tried using a C-clamp to compress it?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You can by a re-manufactured caliper starting at around $75. Check with your local parts store.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts