Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
New to this forum, but not posting on them. So I’ll make this quick and brief.
2004 Sequoia Limited 112,000 miles.
Purchased used for road trip/camping.

Problem:
Both front speakers don’t work.
Checked stereo fade and balance. No static or buzzing.
I pulled the door panel and found after market speakers and alarm system installed.
Couldn’t get any power reading off the speaker. Noticed they tried to bypass the old wiring. There is a small tweeter speaker replaced near the window and a full size with a new housing mount cut.
There is one “purple wire“ that used to connect to the original tweeter wiring. I’ve tried to connect this “Purple wire” to the main speaker power, but still no voltage.
Planning on checking amplifier connection tomorrow.
images of left door.

Door panel removed

Replaced Tweeter and bypass of original wiring.

Wiring in frequency divider I think.

The 2” is bypassed and original still installed not wired
Unknown if the speakers ever worked. I’m assuming they did not.

ThisYouTube video Explains the tweeter relay must be connected. “Purple wire”.
You can see original setup at 4:50.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’ve searched multiple forums and found little information. New to stereo/speaker installs as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You will need to work your way backwards from the crossovers. Are the back speakers working? Just not the front?
Turn on the radio and turn up the volume a bit. You should be able to measure volts AC on those two input wires that go to the crossover. The Green & blue/white wires. If you have no AC volts, then work your way back to the amplifier or head unit, wherever the green & blue/white wires go to. The amp may not be working, or a fuse blown, etc.

The wiring from the crossovers to the speakers appears to be correct.......and I suspect your problem is at the amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Czechm8,

Fuses are all good in dash and under hood. Back speakers all work well.
I will take your advice tomorrow when I pull it all apart.
I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!
Pulled front display off.
No amp...

Oh, also a JVC was already installed as well sorry. Forgot to add that.
Model# if that makes any difference.
So it looks like they bypassed the amp.

Here are some photos of the wiring.

Original amp plug I think.

Misc. wires cut l on left harness area.

Back of JVC unit.

Spliced wire mess...
Turned on stereo and move wires around with no change. Couldn’t find any disconnected or slipped out of splice or other adapters.

Another angle.
Attachment limit.
See next post.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update Continued:

Misc. video wire?

Misc. video wire labeling.

Back of unit again.

Blue piece is a steering adapter it looks like. On that note the volume control is hit or miss from the steering button.

Feeling a bit discouraged and starting to look at stereo shops in the area. Anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it again.
Road trip on July 23rd so I’m trying to finish before then.

Thanks Nesse.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
53 Posts
Tough to tell from your pic, looks like they took the JVC speaker outputs and spliced them into the original wiring harness for all of the speakers. The RCA cables need to be traced and find out where they go. Appears to be preamp outputs to and aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
A couple things.......
1. Yes, there are RCA cables plugged into the JVC head unit that are Pre-out/low level signals. They should lead to some sort of aftermarket amplifier, which is where the speaker wires from your front speakers should lead to as well. Check to see if that amp turns on when you turn on the head unit.

2. that large silver plug in the first 3 pics from your "update continued" thread is the antenna lead. I'd be surprised if you get any radio reception with the antenna lead unplugged. It should plug into the back of the JVC unit........on the bottom corner maybe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A couple things.......
1. Yes, there are RCA cables plugged into the JVC head unit that are Pre-out/low level signals. They should lead to some sort of aftermarket amplifier, which is where the speaker wires from your front speakers should lead to as well. Check to see if that amp turns on when you turn on the head unit.
It looks like the wires lead directly to the speakers. There is no amp that I can see behind the stereo just the steering control. This blue control does not light up when the stereo is on. It does have a 2amp fuse attached to it that appeared to be fine.

Where else could a front amp be?

2. that large silver plug in the first 3 pics from your "update continued" thread is the antenna lead. I'd be surprised if you get any radio reception with the antenna lead unplugged. It should plug into the back of the JVC unit........on the bottom corner maybe?
I previously checked and there are no areas the random antenna plug will plug into on the back of the head unit. The radio has also worked fine since I’ve owned it.

I believe these are the original amp plugs which seem to be bypassed. Called a shop in town and they can’t see me until August. Other places are closed for Covid restrictions. Any new thoughts?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It looks like the wires lead directly to the speakers. There is no amp that I can see behind the stereo just the steering control. This blue control does not light up when the stereo is on. It does have a 2amp fuse attached to it that appeared to be fine.
View attachment 152542
Where else could a front amp be?

I previously checked and there are no areas the random antenna plug will plug into on the back of the head unit. The radio has also worked fine since I’ve owned it.

View attachment 152543
I believe these are the original amp plugs which seem to be bypassed. Called a shop in town and they can’t see me until August. Other places are closed for Covid restrictions. Any new thoughts?
Not sure on the 2004. Factory amp may be under the catch tray in the center console like my 05 was. Just pop that black tray off and take a look.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the front amp is usually where I took those photos and the rear amp is under the center console.
Have to keep digging and look at the rear amp to see what’s going on next week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where are these wires going?
They go up with the wiring harness behind the stereo face.
cant track them after that. I will try to follow them better next week when I’m off work and pull it all out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you identify the leads leaving the head unit that should be the front speakers or RCA cables? If so, turn volume OFF, swap front to rear and vice versa. slowly turn up volume and now see which speakers play. If the rear speakers still play, then there is a problem with the front amplifier or at least something after the head unit. If the front speakers play but not the rear, then the problem is in the head unit. Like other responder, I am surprised your radio works with the antenna unplugged as that was clearly an antenna cable for FM. Was an aftermarket satellite antenna added that included a new FM antenna? If you cannot get assistance from local car stereo shop, Crutchfield has excellent tech support and will often help you trouble shoot even if it is "presale" if there is the possibility that you may be purchasing something from them and "needing to plan" what you need. I have bought enough from there that do not feel bad about occasional advice when not immediately purchasing.

I drive a 2002 Sequoia Limited AWD 230,000 miles but at 2nd time the weird sized front speakers dry rotted, replaced all speakers and went to external amp/processor. Had already changed headunit as did not have BT or steering wheel controls. Headunit change enabled me to add both BT, rear view camera, and steering wheel mounted remote control but still used an interface module/harness adaptor. I take it from the photos that your speaker or RCA leads do not go through the steering wheel control interface, that is a separate bundle of wires?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts