Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bot 2004 new. Driven <3500 mi/yr. Can't get state inspection due to rusted frame. Dealer says not Toyota's problem. What should frame job cost? Is there a way to get Toyota to do it?

· Registered
4,153 Posts
I've seen guys selling frames but cant remember the cost, maybe $3500.
But if you get the dealer to do it you're probably going to be $12 to 15k, maybe more. But if you want them to do it on their dime, the answer is no, that campaign for recalls is closed.
Going forward, rust proof your vehicles from now on so you dont have to go through this again.

· Registered
6,448 Posts
Pics of said rust? There's a place online called www.autorust.com out of RI that sells sections to weld over existing structure. Not bad if you have welding skills or can find a shop willing to do the repair. That's the hard part though due to a lot of shops concerned about liability and an unwillingness to get involved. Those that do, generally charge $$$.

When I was shopping around, I found a truck welding repair place that was willing to do it but it was cutting out the worst parts and just welding on additional metal to the bottom of the frame channels. They quoted me at $800-$1000/side.

· Registered
177 Posts
Anything goes in RI. I know a couple shops that will weld stuff like that right up. Like pickups that you can see flexing in the middle.... I'm originally from oklahoma and they don't even have safety inspections anymore...... NONE. So you see some serious jalopies rolling around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts