Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Sequoia with 100k miles on it. The vehicle is kept clean and waxed, but not overwaxed. I have noticed paint failure of several sorts and am very concerned over the quality of the Toyota paint. Has anyone else experienced this failure and what did you do to remedy it? Tx.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I've been really impressed with my 02' factory paint with over 117k miles. My Sequoia came out of Arizona and has seen many sunny days with no paint fade. Since I've owned it, I had a couple scratches fixed, but the paint looks great still. I wash it religiously, and wax it with a teflon based marine wax and spray it off after driving in the winter salty conditions. What failures are you having?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had no problem with my 2004 factory paint. I do have chips (Southern California freeway damage), and scratches (trail-rash from when I've taken it off-roading 4x4). But nothing I can call factory failure. And I'm not real good with washing/waxing - not regular or diligent at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What color are we talkin about ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2000 Red Tundra that still looks fine. My Green 2005 had most of the paint bake off the roof by the start of 2009. Both live outside in Phoenix. There is a very definate difference in quality between the two trucks, the older is better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have an 04 sequoia. no issues/paint failure with mine either. in all fairness, it is garaged during work hours as well as at night. there was a period for about 2 years when it was not garaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a white 2003 Sequoia and I am experiencing "paint failure" as well. The problem I am having is that the (white) paint is very dull; especially on the hood and rear hatch. I admit that I don't wax it very often, however, for a vehicle that cost this much money, I feel that the paint should look better than what it does. I've seen cheap cars/trucks have better looking paint after 7 years than what my Sequoia has. This is a major disappointment to me! I was wondering if this problem only occurs on the white Sequoias...the gray/silver Sequoias don't seem to have bad paint. :confused:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Pictures would help a lot to see what you mean by failure. Dull paint is not failure, it needs to be buffed and waxed. If you go by the Toyota manual, I believe it mentioned the paint needs to be polished/cleaned/waxed once a month. It doesn't always help to just do polishing, as a good wax will protect the paint. Most of the cars I've had have been a single stage paint and don't have much paint to polish. If you let it go too far, it may be too thin to polish out. Some higher end enamel paint jobs are 2 stage with clear on the top of the color so you have thicker material to work with. Regardless of what you have, it needs to be regularly taken care of. Usually what I do first is a good wash followed by a clay bar to remove all the debris from the paint. Then I do a two coats of my favorite wax. If you have oxidation, you'll need to use a paint cleaner (fine polish) to remove the oxidation...then follow with your wax. Griots garage has some really nice kits you can buy to get an idea of what you might need. Or you can just get some good 3M product or whatever suits your fancy. It's not a white or silver issue, although colors with a metallic will fade quicker and need more attention. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts