Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Have you been successful at programming a new key for your 2003-2007 Sequoia?

• Yes! It was easy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, but I had some trouble

• No, I wasn't successful

• Never tried it

• Total voters
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Long time forum reader, first time posting here.

So I've got a 2004 Sequoia that I bought from the original owner a few years back. With almost 190k miles now, the key blades are kind of worn out and will not lock/unlock the doors because they simply won't turn (like if the remote were to stop working). So I purchased a new key from the dealer and they cut it for free. It locks/unlocks all the doors, but I can't seem to program the immobiliser. I've been using the method where you open and close the door a few times, turn the key a few times, etc.

I am pretty sure that I'm getting it into the programming mode because the security light goes out at the end of the sequence (backwards from other Toyota models as theirs keeps the light on solid in programming mode). But it simply won't program the key.

I needed to program some remotes, which I also had trouble doing so I used Techstream to do it. That's when I noticed that the truck has 4 remotes programmed for it, when I only have two. So I am also assuming that it has 4 keys programmed with it.

So this is what I'm thinking now: I think the immobiliser has the maximum amount of keys (4) registered with it. I wanted to deregister them; however, there is no option for the immobiliser computer. So I have no idea how to deregister the key.

If it helps, I currently have 2 master keys (black) and 1 valet key (gray) that all start the engine. I have one new key that has yet to be programmed.

So does anyone have any experience with this? I know that the 1st gen Sequoias are weird with key programming, but I'm kind of stuck here. Never had issues programming keys and remotes with my 2nd gen .

Thanks in advance.
-Cameron

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I've been digging around the forum more and found the free download for the service manual. I was able to find the erasure procedure and finally program my new key.

I'm sure that there's at least one person out there with this same issue, so I will outline the procedure that worked for me.

Erasure procedure: This will erase all keys registered with the immobilizer except for the one that you are currently using. This requires a master (black) key.

1. All doors closed. No key in the key cylinder.
2. Insert the master key in the key cylinder.
3. Within 15 seconds, turn the key from LOCK to ON 6 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, open and close the driver's door 7 times.
5. Remove the master key.

Programming Procedure: This will let you program a total of 4 master (black) keys and 2 valet (gray) keys. Requires a master (black) key.

1. All doors closed. No key in the key cylinder.
2. Insert a registered master key in the key cylinder.
3. Within 15 seconds, turn the key from LOCK to ON 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, open and close the driver's door 6 times.
5. Remove the master key from the ignition.
*At this point, the security light in the instrument cluster should be OFF. No blinking whatsoever. That's how you know you are in the programming mode.
6. Insert a new cut key into the key cylinder and turn the key from LOCK to ON.
7. Wait at least 60 seconds for the key to be programmed in the ignition.
8. Remove the key from the ignition.
At this point, you can register more keys by repeating steps 6 through 8. Otherwise, end the procedure with step 9
9. Open and close the driver's door to end programming.

I hope this helps someone. Now I don't have to be paranoid about my remote running out of battery lol.

BTW these are on pages BE-139 and BE-141 of the service manual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
1 Participant
DiscoCam
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing