·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
2004 Sequoia Limited 4x4 114,000 miles.
Bought used with the floor Vibration.
Problem:
Sequoia vibrates from the floor and partial steering when driving straight and slightly gets worse when turning left above apprx. 20mph. Goes away completely when turning right. You can hear and slightly feel it.

Replaced:
New tires balanced and aligned.
rims were put on different axles when tires replaced.
Front and rear diff fluid replaced.
Transfer case fluid replaced.
Transmission fluid replaced.
Both sides replaced:
Lower ball joints

Hubs and bearings.
Brake fluid bleed and flushed.
Lubed all Four Drive Shaft Unions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do some googling on East Coast Gear Supply Clamshell bushing. It replaces a needle bearing in the driver's side of the front diff. I had vibrations in the floor, at low speeds like you described, and this was the culprit. Installation is a bit of a PITA. I actually gave up and ended up having ECHS install it for me (fortunately, I live near their shop). This is a common issue on Toyota trucks and you might find informational sources specific to Tacomas, 4runners, Tundras, etc. It is all the same concept.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do some googling on East Coast Gear Supply Clamshell bushing. It replaces a needle bearing in the driver's side of the front diff. I had vibrations in the floor, at low speeds like you described, and this was the culprit. Installation is a bit of a PITA. I actually gave up and ended up having ECHS install it for me (fortunately, I live near their shop). This is a common issue on Toyota trucks and you might find informational sources specific to Tacomas, 4runners, Tundras, etc. It is all the same concept.
Thank you for the info.
Does this part fail or is it just because the oem doesn’t fit snug and vibrates over time?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you for the info.
Does this part fail or is it just because the oem doesn’t fit snug and vibrates over time?
Its just a weak point in the front diff, common in basically every Toyota 4wd truck. The bearing isn't very durable. I've read that Toyota would replace the entire diff instead of just the bearing. Apparently, lifting the truck also puts extra stress and causes premature failure of the bearing. ECGS designed this bushing to replace the bearing. I think it is supposed to be a lifetime thing. I've got about 50k miles on it with no issues.

In concept, it isn't that hard to change. They sell a little bearing removal tool that you grind to fit. Google, "toyota sequoia clamshell bushing" and it'll bring you to the part on the ECGS website. They have lots of details there. I would recommend calling them. I found that they had excellent customer service. If you live anywhere close to their shop, they'll install it for a very reasonable fee.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. A mechanic in town suggest to put a better bearing in it.... I don’t see how a vehicle could have the same exact issue from a new bearing regardless of its price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks again. A mechanic in town suggest to put a better bearing in it.... I don’t see how a vehicle could have the same exact issue from a new bearing regardless of its price.
The better option is the bushing from ECGS. There isn't another bearing option as far as I know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The better option is the bushing from ECGS. There isn't another bearing option as far as I know.
Sorry Lookingup I miss spoke. The mechanic was referring to the wheel bearings I put in the front wheels. He said it’s still probably a bad bearing even after I replaced both of them and the vehicle is still doing the exact same thing.
Did you have East Coast Gear Supply clamshell bearing put in a tundra/sequoia?

I could not find a product for a sequoia.

Update: friend suggested doing Rotors and pads real quick since I was planning to anyways. 1 hour later I had no change in the vibration.

Was your vibration while driving straight and while turning left? Would that clamshell bearing in the front diff cause that light vibration?
When I turn right the vibration completely stops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry Lookingup I miss spoke. The mechanic was referring to the wheel bearings I put in the front wheels. He said it’s still probably a bad bearing even after I replaced both of them and the vehicle is still doing the exact same thing.
Did you have East Coast Gear Supply clamshell bearing put in a tundra/sequoia?

I could not find a product for a sequoia.

Update: friend suggested doing Rotors and pads real quick since I was planning to anyways. 1 hour later I had no change in the vibration.

Was your vibration while driving straight and while turning left? Would that clamshell bearing in the front diff cause that light vibration?
When I turn right the vibration completely stops.
It has been a couple of years, so I don't specifically remember the change when turning. I know that it was a vibration felt in the floor, especially at lower speeds (20-35 mph). I feel like it might have been worse when turning left, but I could just be making that up right now. I attempted to do it myself but eventually gave up and brought it to them, since I happen to live nearby. I don't know if a normal shop would be willing to do that kind of work, you might have to find something a bit more toyota or off-road oriented. Give them a call and talk to them about it. Very nice people there, they know it all about toyota 4wds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts