·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
2004 Sequoia Limited 4x4 114,000 miles.
Bought used with the floor Vibration.
Problem:
Sequoia vibrates from the floor and partial steering when driving straight and slightly gets worse when turning left above apprx. 20mph. Goes away completely when turning right. You can hear and slightly feel it.

Replaced:
New tires balanced and aligned.
rims were put on different axles when tires replaced.
Front and rear diff fluid replaced.
Transfer case fluid replaced.
Transmission fluid replaced.
Both sides replaced:
Lower ball joints

Hubs and bearings.
Brake fluid bleed and flushed.
Lubed all Four Drive Shaft Unions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do some googling on East Coast Gear Supply Clamshell bushing. It replaces a needle bearing in the driver's side of the front diff. I had vibrations in the floor, at low speeds like you described, and this was the culprit. Installation is a bit of a PITA. I actually gave up and ended up having ECHS install it for me (fortunately, I live near their shop). This is a common issue on Toyota trucks and you might find informational sources specific to Tacomas, 4runners, Tundras, etc. It is all the same concept.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do some googling on East Coast Gear Supply Clamshell bushing. It replaces a needle bearing in the driver's side of the front diff. I had vibrations in the floor, at low speeds like you described, and this was the culprit. Installation is a bit of a PITA. I actually gave up and ended up having ECHS install it for me (fortunately, I live near their shop). This is a common issue on Toyota trucks and you might find informational sources specific to Tacomas, 4runners, Tundras, etc. It is all the same concept.
Thank you for the info.
Does this part fail or is it just because the oem doesn’t fit snug and vibrates over time?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you for the info.
Does this part fail or is it just because the oem doesn’t fit snug and vibrates over time?
Its just a weak point in the front diff, common in basically every Toyota 4wd truck. The bearing isn't very durable. I've read that Toyota would replace the entire diff instead of just the bearing. Apparently, lifting the truck also puts extra stress and causes premature failure of the bearing. ECGS designed this bushing to replace the bearing. I think it is supposed to be a lifetime thing. I've got about 50k miles on it with no issues.

In concept, it isn't that hard to change. They sell a little bearing removal tool that you grind to fit. Google, "toyota sequoia clamshell bushing" and it'll bring you to the part on the ECGS website. They have lots of details there. I would recommend calling them. I found that they had excellent customer service. If you live anywhere close to their shop, they'll install it for a very reasonable fee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. A mechanic in town suggest to put a better bearing in it.... I don’t see how a vehicle could have the same exact issue from a new bearing regardless of its price.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks again. A mechanic in town suggest to put a better bearing in it.... I don’t see how a vehicle could have the same exact issue from a new bearing regardless of its price.
The better option is the bushing from ECGS. There isn't another bearing option as far as I know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The better option is the bushing from ECGS. There isn't another bearing option as far as I know.
Sorry Lookingup I miss spoke. The mechanic was referring to the wheel bearings I put in the front wheels. He said it’s still probably a bad bearing even after I replaced both of them and the vehicle is still doing the exact same thing.
Did you have East Coast Gear Supply clamshell bearing put in a tundra/sequoia?

I could not find a product for a sequoia.

Update: friend suggested doing Rotors and pads real quick since I was planning to anyways. 1 hour later I had no change in the vibration.

Was your vibration while driving straight and while turning left? Would that clamshell bearing in the front diff cause that light vibration?
When I turn right the vibration completely stops.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry Lookingup I miss spoke. The mechanic was referring to the wheel bearings I put in the front wheels. He said it’s still probably a bad bearing even after I replaced both of them and the vehicle is still doing the exact same thing.
Did you have East Coast Gear Supply clamshell bearing put in a tundra/sequoia?

I could not find a product for a sequoia.

Update: friend suggested doing Rotors and pads real quick since I was planning to anyways. 1 hour later I had no change in the vibration.

Was your vibration while driving straight and while turning left? Would that clamshell bearing in the front diff cause that light vibration?
When I turn right the vibration completely stops.
It has been a couple of years, so I don't specifically remember the change when turning. I know that it was a vibration felt in the floor, especially at lower speeds (20-35 mph). I feel like it might have been worse when turning left, but I could just be making that up right now. I attempted to do it myself but eventually gave up and brought it to them, since I happen to live nearby. I don't know if a normal shop would be willing to do that kind of work, you might have to find something a bit more toyota or off-road oriented. Give them a call and talk to them about it. Very nice people there, they know it all about toyota 4wds.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any follow-up? just curious if you fixed the problem.
I went to two different auto shops to see if they could confirm my questions. Both said it was the front left bearing. I had the second replace that bearing to make sure I didn’t mess something up. Bad idea. Absolutely no change. He wanted to replace my entire front differential to fix the problem. Paid for the bearing I already replaced... I am now trying to find time to order and start the cv bushing replacement. I will replace the bushing on the driver side, both cv’s, and the Swing arm boots next month. I’ll try to take photos.

still vibrating.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I replaced the cv Axel bushing and nothing changed.
Stock needle bushing seemed fine and still snug on the cv axle.

Used the extraction tool from East Coast Gear Supply where I bought the bushing.

I had to sand down the corners on the smaller extraction side so it would fit behind the bushing. Other then that it worked well.

Sanded side.

Back to the drawing bored on fixing the vibration. Guessing it’s something with the front differential.

Video helped with the process.

Not sure if replacing the CV axles and tie rods will make any difference. That’s next on the agenda.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me know what you come up with. I did the bushing install and it helped but I still have a vibration on the floorboard (nothing in the steering wheel). It's also much more prevalent turning right at 45-60mph. I was thinking of replacing the left axle to see if any change. Might just buy a cheap one from autozone just to test.

Well I replaced the cv Axel bushing and nothing changed.
Stock needle bushing seemed fine and still snug on the cv axle.
View attachment 154901 View attachment 154902 View attachment 154903

Used the extraction tool from East Coast Gear Supply where I bought the bushing.
View attachment 154904
I had to sand down the corners on the smaller extraction side so it would fit behind the bushing. Other then that it worked well.

View attachment 154905
Sanded side.

Back to the drawing bored on fixing the vibration. Guessing it’s something with the front differential.

Video helped with the process.

Not sure if replacing the CV axles and tie rods will make any difference. That’s next on the agenda.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After replacing both the left and right front cv axles there is still no change.
Not really sure where to go from here.
Does anyone know of a gear/part in the differential that would cause the vibration.
Anyone south the Bay Area in CA that wants to come and drive the Sequoia let me know. Very frustrating and I don’t feel like dropping $2k+ on a used front diff.
Thanks again for the help so far.

Automotive tire Coil spring Automotive fuel system Tread Auto part

obviously I finished installs. Just showing new vs stock. Probably should have kept the OEM installed. Oh well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nesse, I have the exact same issues with my 2004 and I have the same mileage. I have new OEM axles in the last 3,000 miles, bushing installed and new LBJ's, upper arms, wheels tires. Left side is vibrating and worse in turns. The bushing helped a ton in straight line vibration but turning not as much. I'm glad you did axles cause I was tempted to try aftermarket ones just in case (thanks for being the guinea pig :). I would really like to regear and lock the whole thing but I'm not sure if that fixes anything and for $4k to regear and lock I'm not jumping up and down at especially when I don't think I'll use the lockers and I'm not towing to really need to regear. Thought, how about removing just the left side axle shaft to see what happens? Just the shaft, not the cup that goes into the diff (wouldn't want to lose oil :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just found this on another thread in here. This makes sense.
#2 · Oct 26, 2014

This was a real problem on 07 and 08 trucks without lift kits. The left axle shaft is bottoming out in the front differential against the center pin that holds spider gears in place. Back then a service bulletin had us replacing the axle shafts and the carrier (just the guts of the diff). The lift is letting the axle plunge to far inward as you have changed all the angles. I'd lose the lift.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just found this on another thread in here. This makes sense.
#2 · Oct 26, 2014

This was a real problem on 07 and 08 trucks without lift kits. The left axle shaft is bottoming out in the front differential against the center pin that holds spider gears in place. Back then a service bulletin had us replacing the axle shafts and the carrier (just the guts of the diff). The lift is letting the axle plunge to far inward as you have changed all the angles. I'd lose the lift.
I have already replaced the claimshell bushing on the driver side. It made no change what so ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Could it be the rear wheel bearings??:unsure:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.