Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my 2004 Sienna front bumper cover.
I could not find repair manual in Chilton or Haynes or pictures for it.
I never replace one before but here are the steps I plan to do:
1. Disconnect battery positive connector
2. Remove head lights and fog lights
3. Remove front tires and let the van sits on safety stands
4. Remove tire well covers
5. Remove the bumper cover

Sounds very simple huh... well that's all I can think of for now.
Let me know if you have any suggestion or want to know my result.
This is my first post... so wish me luck.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
OP, with all due respect, I think your steps are all wrong, you don't need to remove headlights, etc. to get the bumper cover off.

Please take a look at the attached, but note that some people have problems removing the end clips - be warned, you can ruin your bumper if you do this wrong...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, It does not require to remove the headlights and tire-well cover.
And yes, it was not visible enough to remove the end clips without breaking something. That's why I could not remove the bumper cover.
It would save a lot of time (and trouble) if I view the picture first.

As the picture was mention about the protective tape, may be the end clips need to pry off the fender (beware the potential of breaking it).
It would be great if we have a picture of the end clip.

Anyway, if the bumper cover snapped off the black grill due to somebody backed to it, then just snap it back by pushing the cover in with holding the black grill study. No need to jump into the pool.:eek:
The bumper cover is attach to the car via screws clips in the picture and the end clips (not shown in picture).

Thank you... SPENDER

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured out the clip, thanks to your descriptions and the tape hint. The bumper cover meets the fender at the seam that is 8 or 9" long. A 8 or 9" long clip holds them togehter. You pry the bumper out of the clip in a very careful way to prevent breaking it. You apply the strip of masking tape to the fenderside of the joint so you don't scratch the paint when you start prying. I used a very small screwdriver, like the little pocket screwdrivers for doing outlet and switch-plate covers. Insert the screwdriver about 1/4" or so into the seam about 1" from each end and pry upward with the handle using the taped edge of the fender as the fulcrum to pull the bumper cover edge straight outward. It should then pop out of the clip. there are actually three small clips 1" from each end and near the middle of the 8" seam. prying at these clips in sequence seems to be the best approach. When both left and right sides are popped free the cover can be lowered to the ground and the headlight removal is then real easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ah, thanks for the picture and the writeup tips. i found the plastic clips up top and the screws on the fender liner and under the bumper, but wouldn't have thought about the end clips. that just saved me a bunch of time, trouble, and probably $$$ as i would've probably broken them off trying to ease off the bumper or pry the cover off.

now i can start installing my aux projector fog lights and replace the OEM H3 bulbs with a projector HID assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am going to replace my 2004 Sienna front bumper cover.
I could not find repair manual in Chilton or Haynes or pictures for it.
I never replace one before but here are the steps I plan to do:
1. Disconnect battery positive connector
2. Remove head lights and fog lights
3. Remove front tires and let the van sits on safety stands
4. Remove tire well covers
5. Remove the bumper cover

Sounds very simple huh... well that's all I can think of for now.
Let me know if you have any suggestion or want to know my result.
This is my first post... so wish me luck.;)
what kind of tool is used to get to that 1 each 10mm bolt/screw that holds the bumper. this bolt is one on both drivers and passenger. there is not enough to get a socket nor enough room to get a wrench. so what do you use?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How can there not be enough room for a socket? Dont forget that the bumpers are probably installed in the factory without tires on the vehicle so in this case, if you are referring to the ones by the tire, turn the wheel inward to get the socket in there.
Also, in cases like this, youtube is your best friend. Couple of things though this guy doesnt do right or clarify. The slotted clips- those do come out without breaking but you have to rotate them 90 degrees and they come right out. Once you get the first one out and look at it you will see why.
Pulling the bumper off using a screwdriver-dont do that, its not necessary. You just get your hand behind it and give it a good yank and it will pop right out. Putting a screwdriver in there is just asking for trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts