Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After coming across the thread regarding the OME rear springs I became worried my plans might not work.
I've ordered and received the Bilstein 5100 fronts and stock replacement Bilstein's for the rear. I was planning on leveling the front as close as possible with the rear and increasing the tire size. Originally I was planning on 285/70R17 BFG KM2 but favored 305/65R17 due to increased width but lessened height. Is it unrealistic to think I could fit either of these with simply leveling the vehicle (wheel offsets notwithstanding)?

I'd appreciate any/all feedback. My essential goal is to fit the largest tire I can with least effect on front end geometry as it pertains to alignment, etc.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good question. I've not ever seen a 2WD Sequoia up close, so I'm not sure how they sit or if they utilize the same 4WD spring/shocks up front? From pictures, they look like they sit at the same height (double check as I'm not sure). I'm sure you will be able to set the 5100's up front to level it out the way you want. A 285 would fit fine on a 4WD, so I think you may be able to fit it on your Sequoia. The tire fitment will also vary depending on tire brand, so while at the tire store make sure you have them turn the wheel lock-to-lock to make sure it fits the way you want. I've seen a 305, but it took some wheel spacers and still may touch the frame a tiny bit. I've also seen a 315 on the stock wheel but it took notching the frame to fit without rub. With your application (285) it may require some trimming of the front mud flap. Since it's 2WD you don't need to worry about the front diff drop spacer or leaking CV joints. That being said, once you lift the front...the alignment will not be able to go back to stock settings...though your tire wear may be fine. You can get your caster closer to stock with an aftermarket upper control arm. Search for DJ's alignment specs and have the alignment shop get it as close as possible. I'm sure there may be some other guys here who can chime in on the 2WD aspect for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's my logic and my justifications...not that it means I'm right...so please chime in.

Currently, my stock tires are 265/65R17. This measures ≈30.5" x ≈10.4"
The 305/65R17 measures ≈32.6" x ≈12"
285/70R17 ≈32.7" x ≈11.22"

They front would be lifted ≈1.5" to level it out, which just about accounts for the taller tire. Spacer/adapter would give the needed offset for the width. To me, this means I shouldn't have any issues. Can anyone see any reasons why this wouldn't be the case?

Re: alignment: according to Bilstein their shock keeps it all within stock constraints.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, the 305 is probably a 32" to 33" tall tire depending on manufacturer....and also closer to a 11.5" wide tire. A 285 is closer to a 10.5" wide tire, and a 315 is closer to a 12" wide tire in tire shop slang....but not exact.

Also, you mentioned leveling the front. For my measurements on several 4WD Sequoia's, you would need to raise the front 2.75" to be completely level. From my experience, I've used a 2" level kit to fit a 285 on a stock wheel with minimal rub. So height wise, you may need to bring the 5100's up a little more. I'm thinking you would want to be close to 2-2.5" up front....and if you run the stock wheel you might need a wheel spacer with the 295 tire...if it rubs.

Alignment is not going to be the same, and you will not get it back to the stock settings once you adjust the front height (better with aftermarket UCA). The higher you go, the less caster you will have. For example, I have my front end up 2.75" and can only get +1.5 on the caster because the cams are maxed out. According to DJ's specs, you want to have the following on a Sequoia:

Caster: +2.5 to +2.75 max
Camber: +.25
Toe: .04 or .08 Total toe

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents....hope it helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured apex of wheel arch to the ground front/rear, which is how I got the difference. I just acquired the vehicle so I'm not sure how much sagging there is. I just hate to install these shocks and then have to seek another solution and be stuck with non-returnable items.
Of course I'd install the rears first to see if there is an appreciable difference before installing the front set. I don't want to have to deal with trimming/removing mud flaps or anything extraneous. I'm unsure of how forgiving tire shops are if a non-stock size doesn't work. I might locate a 33x12.5 somewhere and throw it on a wheel and see what it does lock-to-lock, but was hoping to avoid that. I plan on using stock wheels with spacer/adapter for offset.

From BFG's site:
LT285/70R17/D 33" 11.5" on 8.5" wheel
(preferred size) LT305/65R17/E 32.8" 12.2" on 9" wheel

From what you're saying, I should be good?
With your 285 rubbing, were you on stock wheels with anything accomodating offset?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey jrmbtr: I doubt you have much if any sagging on your stock springs. The 2WD may sit differently than the 4WD, so my experience may not coincide with your Sequoia.

As far as having to find a different solution, I think the adjustable height 5100 will allow you to level the front as high as you want to go. You are only doing the Bilstein HD shock in the rear correct? If that is all you are doing in the rear, you won't have a height change.

Not knowing exactly how the 2WD sits, I don't know what to tell you on the tires. You may have to do some trimming on the mud flap (not a big deal). As far as tire shops go, you are the customer and you should get what you want. Have them install the tires you want on the front (Makes NO difference what came stock on the truck) and check to see if it rubs. If you don't want to raise the notch on the Bilstein 5100 to clear, then you'll need a wheel spacer or smaller tire. It's better pay an extra couple bucks for install labor to make sure you get the correct tire fitment...to your satisfaction. I ran several sets of 285's in the past (with leveling kit), and they were on stock wheels with NO spacer. The 285 fits nicely, and doesn't stick out past the wheel well. If you go wider, and or use a spacer it will stick out past the fender flare. It comes down to personal preference.

Send me a PM if you have any questions, and I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting a clunking sound while turning as the suspension moves, seemingly only on the right. Does that sound like one of the enigmas fixed by alignment?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
How high do you have them set? Does it look like the upper control arm is hitting the spring at full droop? Is everything at proper torque? For sure have the alignment done at DJ's specs. Let me know if you can't find the specs and I'll look them up for you. You want as much caster as possible.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think/hope I didn't tighten the sway bar link all of the way. It isn't as perpendicular as the driver side. I borrowed an impact gun to torque it down, going to give it a shot tomorrow. I'll need to google what the upper control arm is to know what to look for. I'm not sure what you mean by DJ's specs either. I'm set at the middle rung and seems a good spot. I need to put a tape to it and see how level it is/isn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...it looks to be the swaybar connection. How do you tighten it properly? It appears as though the whole assembly rotates as I tighten it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like a 11/16" subbed for the 17mm. FIXED THE NOISE! Plan to figure tire size this week.
Another question...is there any harm in the pivet pictured here being oily? I don't know if that means damage or if it is normal. (this picture is not of mine)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed you purchased rear shocks as well. I installed these yesterday and it was a major PITA. Took nearly twice as long as doing the 5100's up front due to some rusted nuts on the top and no clearance to get a socket on them. Let me know how it went, or goes for you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
jrmbtr: glad to hear you fixed the noise! Just watch the boots on the end links and see if they are torn....if they do tear, you can replace the boot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
any pics of the final product? I have a 2004 4WD with the Bilstein5100's set at 2.25" I'm nose up which i like so my next plan is tires on the stock 17" rims. I am hoping to get 285 75 17. anyone else done this? are spacers needed?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any pics of the final product? I have a 2004 4WD with the Bilstein5100's set at 2.25" I'm nose up which i like so my next plan is tires on the stock 17" rims. I am hoping to get 285 75 17. anyone else done this? are spacers needed?
I have mine set at the middle ring and it measures even. I have rubbing on the frame and the mudflap. Added 1/4" spacers to push it out from the frame; 1/2" only left around three turns of each lug on the studs. That seems to have fixed the frame rub. The mud flap rubbing got a tad worse after the spacer due to the changed geometry. I was actually just outside with a flashlight checking it out. I'm apprehensive to cut the stock ones. The rubbing doesn't bother me as I know what it is, but it is embarrassing when manuevering in a parking lot. I may see if the tire shop that I got the tires from and who did the alignment can push the caster axis forward/positive a little more. That would, in my completely inexperienced opinion, lessen the rub. I have 285/70R17 Cooper STT tires.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Can you post some pics? If you are on the middle ring, that is around 1.25" lift right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have mine set at the middle ring and it measures even. I have rubbing on the frame and the mudflap. Added 1/4" spacers to push it out from the frame; 1/2" only left around three turns of each lug on the studs. That seems to have fixed the frame rub. The mud flap rubbing got a tad worse after the spacer due to the changed geometry. I was actually just outside with a flashlight checking it out. I'm apprehensive to cut the stock ones. The rubbing doesn't bother me as I know what it is, but it is embarrassing when manuevering in a parking lot. I may see if the tire shop that I got the tires from and who did the alignment can push the caster axis forward/positive a little more. That would, in my completely inexperienced opinion, lessen the rub. I have 285/70R17 Cooper STT tires.
Thanks for the info. When I get around to tires I really want 285's but I might have to suck it up and go with a smaller height tire just to get away from the rubbing. It wouldn't bother me but the looks from the wife every time it rubs would start to get irritating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you post some pics? If you are on the middle ring, that is around 1.25" lift right?
Please pardon my delay. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. I haven't been available during the day to take pictures. I forget what the middle ring give you...I'd need to reference the instructions. I wanted to level out, so I measured the apex of the fender to the ground front/rear and applied the difference to the instruction set for the shocks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How high do you have them set? Does it look like the upper control arm is hitting the spring at full droop? Is everything at proper torque? For sure have the alignment done at DJ's specs. Let me know if you can't find the specs and I'll look them up for you. You want as much caster as possible.
I found his specs FINALLY after an obscene amount of searching. The tire place were I got the tires and alignment will charge me to re-rack it, so I'll either need to pay again and find a more competent operator/machine for lifted vehicles or is caster something I can adjust myself?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts