Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a working JBL 10 Speaker system, but wanted to add a new head unit that had bluetooth capabilities. Pulled stock head unit (JBL with 6 disc changer), used metra wiring harness (70-8113) and installed new Pioneer FH-x700Bt head unit. Planned on using factory front and rear amps. Radio works and provides good sound and volume to front speakers. Rear speakers appear to NOT be amplified. Adjusting fader on new unit doesn't help. If i adjust fader to all rear, i can barely hear the speakers and they hiss/crackle. First thought was that i might have blown rear amp. Also, had read about "low rear speaker volume" issue on this forum in 2001 Sequoia's, so thought the issue would be with rear amp. So, since i used a harness to connect the new head unit, i unplugged it and plugged in the old factory JBL radio. Volume to rear speakers was perfect - no issues. That makes me think the rear the amp is working properly. Frustrating, as i am a rookie at this but appear agonizingly close to getting this done.

Plugging back in the new Pioneer Head unit, the rear speakers still are un-amplified. My understanding of the power sequence is that the the head unit tells the front amp to turn on, which in turn tells the rear amp to turn on. I'm using a 70-8113 metra harness and there are no wires (that i can tell) that would go to a rear amp. Plus, looking over the Sequoia wiring diagrams, there is nothing that connects to the head unit for the rear amp. Again, my understanding is the the rear amp is told to turn on by the front amp. Clearly the front amp is powering up.

Anyone else have this issue? Think it's a bad new head unit? Am i missing something in the wiring?

--
Chuck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would try playing with some settings and seeing what's available, because when I put my head unit in, my 10" sub was not even functioning because of the settings. If not I would say take it in to a audio tech and see what is really wrong from a proffessional.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you simply want bluetooth capability I would recommend just getting a unit from Grom Audio.

I recently went through an entire upgrade of the audio in my 05' Sequoia (JBL 10 speaker) and this is the route I went. I actually wanted (or had to) keep the stock headunit to retain the functionality of the rear seat entertainment and that's why I went down this road. I will post a build thread with more detail in the near future.

I went with this model and I got the optional bluetooth dongle, microphone and also the 1/8 Aux input cable:
Toyota Scion Lexus USB Android iPod iPhone Bluetooth AUX adapter

In the end I probably would have been happy with just the bluetooth as it's all I use - I just play audio from my phone. Hands free is essential to me and it works perfectly. The steering wheel controls actually control track selection through bluetooth as well which is awesome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts