Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got stuck in the mud today and had to get towed out by a jeep. My 4wd would not engage. I have used it a week before and now nothing. Talk about pissed:mad:. Can any one help me figure out what going on? I have checked my fuses so it isn't that. MAybe the automatic disconnecting differential. If thats it is there anything I can do or do I take it back to the dealership.:cry: Light for 4wd hi was flashing and nither hi or lo would engage

·
Registered
554 Posts
I assume we are talking 4 HI ? First off, was the light on the button flashing, on steady, or not on at all ?

Flashing means that the servo is trying to engage but must have some drivetrain movement to engage, usually rolling forward or backward works, however if you are stuck then simply applying some gas should work. If it is on steady, it indicates that the servo has engaged the diff. ( if at this point 4WD doesn't work, perhaps there is a mechanical problem). If the light didn't come on at all, then you have a power issue either supplying the switch or the servo, check the connectors at the diff ? Had the dash off recently ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume we are talking 4 HI ? First off, was the light on the button flashing, on steady, or not on at all ?

Flashing means that the servo is trying to engage but must have some drivetrain movement to engage, usually rolling forward or backward works, however if you are stuck then simply applying some gas should work. If it is on steady, it indicates that the servo has engaged the diff. ( if at this point 4WD doesn't work, perhaps there is a mechanical problem). If the light didn't come on at all, then you have a power issue either supplying the switch or the servo, check the connectors at the diff ? Had the dash off recently ?
light was flashing,but the 4wd would engage,hi or lo. And where is the connector at the diff?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The connector is at the actuator on the diff. There is also a relay on the passenger fender well near the firewall. Also check the Transfere case actuator and connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The connector is at the actuator on the diff. There is also a relay on the passenger fender well near the firewall. Also check the Transfere case actuator and connector.
:ts:
Is all that located outside where I can see it or do I have to take stuff apart to get to it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
All the connectors should be accessable outside the actuator motors. The actuator motors can also be removed and can be observed for movement when the switch is operated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the connectors should be accessable outside the actuator motors. The actuator motors can also be removed and can be observed for movement when the switch is operated.
:ts: I'll take a look, oh by the way it finally decided to engage after about 3 days of randomly push the 4WD HI button.?? Go figure:confused: Maybe it was just stuck being it doesnt' get used a whole lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 Double Cab Tundra. The 4WD engage switch light was flashing but it would not kick in. I took it to one dealer who said I needed a new actuator motor at a hefty price. I thought I'd wait until I got closer to winter.

I tried the button two weeks later and it kicked in. Now I'm really confused. I read this happened to other owners.

Does anyone know if I need something fixed ? Is this common ? Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys, Newbe here...
I'm having the same issue. I've got an 03 Tundra and when I press the 4HI botton the indicator light for both HI and LOW just blink at me. Usually after about 10 minutes of driving I can feel the fourwheel drive finally engage and then the 4HI light will stay on. When I go to disengage the fourwheel drive, it often takes awhile for it to disengage. I brought my Tundra in today and the Stealer wants $2600 to fix the Actuator. This is unbelievable to me... Can I remove the actuator myself without harming the transfer case or losing fluid from inside the transfer case? I'd love to find more information on this topic so if you could, please advise as to what I should do next.

Thanks a ton!

Chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
6 mo old 05 tacoma. 4 lo light comes while driving and will not go out until I stop and shut off engine. Service dept in Roseville, CA can find nothing wrong. 4 lo light problem is back. Service dept in Redding can find nothing wrong. Now it will not always go into 4h. Service dept in Salt Lake City can find nothing wrong. Still have 4 lo light problem and can only get into 4h by shutting off engine, turning on key then turning knob to 4h, listen for 4h to engage then start engine and reversing procedure to get out of 4h. Service dept in Chicago can find nothing wrong. 4h will now engage, all by itself. Service dept in Tucson can fit me in week after next. 4wd quits altogether. Service dept in Redding orders and changes a switch. 4 lo light comes on about 400 miles later. 4wd fails during ice storn in Texas. Service dept in Houston can sometimes duplicate problem but cannot find problem. 4wd is working when they give me back the truck and they recomend driving to total failure and take to a dealer, preferably a diferent dealer. Calls to Toyota Corp start. If it aint boke we can't fix it. 4wd quits working. More calls to Toyota. Service dept in Baytown says yep its broke. Nope don't know why. More calls to Toyota. No problem our best and brightest are on it. How bout something to drive while you have my truck? Your from outta state right? In your dreams. More calls to Toyota......................5 days sitting in a motel later Toyota authorizes a rental. 3 days later I get the Tacoma from hell back. I love my Tacoma. countin flowers on the wall doesnt bother me at all

·
Registered
248 Posts
You guys are supposed to engage the 4WD system once a month for 20 minutes on a straight road if it's not being used often. This will keep the parts lubricated and also help engage 4WD faster when you actually need it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might be listed as a rookie but I have some answers for all you folks. I agree that you should engage the 4WD drive system to keep the parts lubricated. However it would be nice if some type of light came on the dashboard to tell you to do that.

As far as the blinking 4wd light ; it is usually one of two things. First, if you're lucky it could be just that 4wd sensor switch which is located on top of the transfer case is bad. You can crawl underneath on a level surface and change this pretty easily. Toyota part # 84222-12010 (Indicator Switch). This switch is farther back on the transfer case that the 4L switch. Part runs about $85.00.

If this doesn't solve the problem it is most likely the ACTUATOR motor which costs around $335. let a dealer put it in. I had to do this to fix the problem on my 2004 4WD Double Cab Tundra. Its rare for this to happen but not unusual. Call around to as many dealers in your area as possible as prices will vary. A Master Toyota technician can fix this in about 2 hours. If you shop around, you can find a total cost around the $500 mark + tax. I had one dealer quote $750, one $1,500, one $490, and one $540. I ended up choosing the $540 dealer quote over the $490 because it was much close to my home.

This information applies to 2000-2006 Tundras. The same exact problem solving will work on many Sequoias and 4Runners.

Don't get fooled by some shops that will say you need a whole new differential or transfer case ; that's baloney and just makes the shop a lot of money. It would be very very rare for this to happen.

There you go. From "da Rookie" who was an all-american basketball player in college.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I'm having the same issue. Didn't use the 4 wheel drive for the past 6 months and when I pushed the 4Hi button, all I get is flashing light and NO 4 wheel drive. Followed the suggestions on this thread to no avail. There are distinct sounds of the actuators trying to engage / disengage when the buttons is engaged / disengaged.
Is there anything else to check or bang with a hammer!!!!! GRRRRR!
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My 2000 tundra just this last weekend decided not to go into 4wd at all too but mine is a manual 5speed 4x4 so I just pull the lever and it activates the transfer case. I have 4wd low but just to the rear end so I believe it is the front Automatic Differential Disconnect which is about a 260 dollar part if I go with Toyota plenty on ebay and a 125 dollar part of I go aftermarket at Rock Auto. There is a few threads about removing just the motor cover and soldering the tabs on the electric motor and I will give that a look this weekend and if not I will just order the part. It is just 4 bolts to remove it and a little RTV sealant . I believe you have to drain some of the front diff and it can't hurt to change it while I am at it. It acted up a few times last winter but I thought it was just a little cold and guess it was giving me the hint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, 5Speed. My set up is a little different and it seems everything is working, EXCEPT, it wont go into 4Hi!!!!
Steve

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well I removed the plug and the vac hose from the front actuator and then proceeded to remove the 4 external screws removing the outside plastic cover. One screw was at a little tough but it broke free. Then I just pulled off the outside housing and it came off with a little effort. The inside looked fine and I could spin the worm drive shaft. Well I removed the three screws with some effort and a small pair of vice grip pliers to take the cover off the motor and everything looked just fine. Getting the ball bearing to stay centered within the cap was fun but putting it back together was not that bad. Before putting the cover with the motor and worm drive shaft back I move the large gear that moves when driven with the actuator motor a little then put the cap back on and then put the plug and vac hose back. Tried the 4x4 and it now works. Not sure what I did but it now is easy to engage and disengage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
5 speed, what you were supposed to do was to clean up the electrical contacts in in the housing. There is a rotary switch that has contact fingers that follow on a nylon disk. If you can clean up the contact points and re-grease with dielectric grease.

You got lucky, by putting it back together, you made good contact. Now, taking it apart will be easier.

Also what you did by cycling the gear in and out helps get the parts moving.

I have even removed the ADD from the diff and cycled it in the air just to make sure it is working.

You can manually engage 4wd by doing what 5 speed did and rolling the gear over while it is still on the truck. Just leave it unplugged and you will be locked in. This sucks on the trail. But better than being towed.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
5 speed, what you were supposed to do was to clean up the electrical contacts in in the housing. There is a rotary switch that has contact fingers that follow on a nylon disk. If you can clean up the contact points and re-grease with dielectric grease.

Is there any write-up on the web that you know of that shows how to clean up the contact points? All the points looked clean and the dielectric grease looked fresh and no intrusion of water. The brushes for the motor looked good. I thought I was going to find the electric motor that needed the tabs soldered but this is a very different actuator.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts