Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My radiator is starting to leak at the bottom at the plastic piece and I have to fill up the overflow with radiator fluid to FULL every day to compensate for the slow leak.

Can some one advise me one the best place for OEM parts for my radiator replacement.

I found this: 16410-AZ057 - Radiator Assembly - 2000-2004 Toyota Tundra | OEM Genuine Parts
Seem like an OK deal?

Also is it recommended to replace the thermo as well or can I leave it be? Any tips or pitfalls to aviod while doing this replacement. Seems pretty simple.

thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Greets!

No, just that RockAuto has historically been the best overall for me and the folks I've helped DIY vehicle repair for quality replacements comparable to OEM including cooling systems regardless of brand/model.

That said, the closest to your 16410-AZ057 is 16410-YZZAS [$102.79], which I'm guessing is a 'catch-all' for any 'Z' numbers, so maybe stuck with OEM.

Regardless, good luck with it. :)

Re the T-stat, assuming the gasket looks good, check it on the stove to see if it fully opens at ~ its rating or if referring to the housing, just clean it up assuming no obvious major pitting and/or hairline cracks.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I would recommend that you pick up a DENSO from Amazon. Denso is the manufacture that Toyota uses from the factory and I picked one up for my 2000 and it fit perfect. You didn't say if you have a manual or an automatic? Mine is a manual so the transmission cooler isn't used but unless you purchase one directly from Toyota you will have to get one that has the transmission cooler built in and don't use it. Changing the thermostat will require you changing the water pump which requires removing the timing belt which is a little more involved than just changing out the radiator. If you change out the thermostat you should do the complete timing belt. idlers , water pump, crank and cam seals.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra AC 4x4, currently 206K
36 Posts
I agree get a Denso radiator from where ever is the best price including shipping. For the thermostat check out youtube and 1A Auto videos on 1st gen 4.7 L thermostats. EZ to follow for the DIYer in all of us. Purchase some Asian pink coolant you will lose alot on this repair.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I first hit RadiatorExpress.com because they try pretty hard to offer high grade all metal rads for most vehicle's.
I first found them working on my wifes Camry over 15yrs ago. They offered an old style all metal radiator cheaper than its plastic/alum radiator would cost me. Great quality metal rad too!
Since then I always look there first to see if they offer one.
Last year we used them to get a nice all aluminium version for my friends GMC truck. Worth every penny to upgrade to all metal if your keeping it long!
My next option to locate one is at Rock Auto or Ebay to upgrade it.
My 2005 (V8) still has its OEM rad at 400k miles but when it goes I'll update to an all metal rad.
The majority of "aftermarket" plastic rads I've seen are poor quality. I've seen so many fail within a yr and a warranty only gets you another junk one like it to simply fail again.
The only plastic rads Id trust is Denso or Toys OEM just like mentioned but their cost usually makes an all metal rad upgrade worth looking into.
Always replace that rad cap too, dont re-use your old one.
Old/bad caps allow your pressure to bleed off causing a water pump seal to fail early believe it or not.
A water pump needs the correct amount of pressure behind its inner seal or the pumps seal actually deforms & the pump fails much earlier.
Just replace your cap anytime a pump fails as it may actually be the cause of your pump failure! Only get half the miles on replacement pump? Bad Cap most likely....yuup!
I replace my rad cap each time I do my timing belt/pump or every 100k on any vehicle.
So far Ive just been lucky and not had to replace my Tundra radiator. All I can offer here, best of luck friends!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts