Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 2004 tundra. been a decent truck have 118,000mi on it and ive had this issue since i bought it used a few years ago.... theres those time when offroading where it gets a little bummpy... when i go to hit breaks when its bouncing all over the place it wont compress to quickly and it makes a loud weird winding noise!?! i have to take foot of let it decompress itself then when im not bouncing anymore the noise will stop and it will work again.. what and y is that? abs? i dont wanna be the next prius that goes off a cliff or in my case in florida, into the swamp! [email protected]

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the same problem in my 06 DC...same exact thing too, I already got used to it but at first, I'll admit, it scared me. Makes you feel like you aren't in control. When I looked into it, I was told it was the ABS. I find this weird because my other buddies don't have the same problem with their trucks (F-150's, silverados, titans) and they also have ABS on their trucks. I hate it happening but I'm used to it now. If you find a solution which I doubt, let me know.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The weird noise is the ABS kicking on.

Make sure your rear brakes are adjusted right, I had an issue on a customers Tundra that the ABS was always kicking on, rear shoes were out of adjustment and it made the whole truck not want to stop properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fix it. My Ford Ranger use to make a noise and I had to let up and then reapply the brakes. It was a defective valve and when it finally failed I realized it had cause a accident a year before because I had to release it to regain braking. After it was replaced it worked perfectly which it never had done since it was new. Toyota brakes suck. My 2000 Tundra has rotors which warp every time you brake hard towing. They upgraded them to a larger size in a silent recall to keep it quiet but I was too late for that . Maybe we should demand a recall all 2000 to 2003 Tundra owners call your congress person.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the brakes like on the road are perfectly fine.... i bought it at 95k, it now has 118k and i have not done any brake work.. thelooked new when i bought it but it stops fine, no shake or pule. seem to grab fine. i get the tundra common klunk when i take foot of brake after being stopped(prob rear shoes letting go).. but what can you expect its still got drums in the rear. It ticks me off alot when towing, cant stop at all lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts