Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am new here, and from what i see this looks like a great place. I have a 2004 Tundra SR5 Ext. cab. with a little over 100k on it. I am at a point where i need to replace the front rotors and pads (they have been resurfaced once) The stopping power is greatly diminished and i have a shimmy under braking.
I pull a 7x12 double axle trailer at about 6000lbs. The trailer does have brakes.
My question is i am not sure what to buy for brake parts. Is there a rotor/pad combo that would improve over factory, or should i just stay OEM and buy toyota rotors and pads?
Any direction on where to buy the parts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Also does anyone use air bags on the back of the tundra? i have spring helpers that are sort of clunkey, but work. The weight of the trailer squats the truck too much without them.
Thank you all!
Vince

·
Registered
300 Posts
I got my 01 Tundra a couple weeks ago and the first thing I did was change out the rotors and pads. It had a vibration when I braked. It turns out the pads had plenty of meat on them, but the inside ones were stuck. I usually buy the cheapest rotors and mid grade pads for most of my vehicles and I did the same for the truck. The biggest issue I had was getting the new pads in. I had to file the casting imperfections to get them in and avoid having them getting stuck again.

The truck stops great and I spent less than $160 for the parts. I do have a car with weak brakes and I went with EBC rotors and pads. I did help a lot, but the parts are very expensive at $430 all around. I don't think the Tundra needs high performance brakes for every day use and towing with trailers that have brakes.

The parts were Advance Auto stock items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's amazing that my 2004 Tundra has gone 75,000 plus miles without brake pad replacement. I too pull a trailer (3500 pounds) which has it's own brakes and after two years of monthly camping trips (with several trips over 2,000 miles) I now intend to replace them soon. I'm a former mechanic so I don't expect a lot of problems with this task.

Note: there is a common defect that I found towing a trailer with the 2004 Tundra: The rear bumper gets 'pushed" upward on the left side after awhile. I have straintened it out once and the local dealer said I must be bottoming out for that to happen. I think it's a design flaw and newer versions hopefully had some "beef" added to the bumper supports!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a 2004 and changed out my pads once at about 53,000 miles. I didn't have to as the pads had at least 40% of the pad left. I did it because I was driving from MA to FL to tow my new boat home.

I checked the front pads out about a month ago and they are not even 1/2 way worn with about 47-48,000 miles on them.

I also tow a boat/trailer going at least 6,000lbs and it has disc brakes on both axles which helps greatly, the truck actually feels like it stops quicker with the trailer hooked up than when I have nothing in tow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new here, and we're also looking at getting new rotors for our 04 Tundra (SR5, V8, 4WD doublecab). We've owned it since June 2010, now has 86K, and we've already had to resurface the rotors once, and they're pretty bad again right now. This information is great. Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went to RockAuto and purchased the Raybestos Advanced Technology pads and rotors this summer for about $200. Can't complain so far. RockAuto ships pretty darn fast.

·
7,925 Posts
Hi All,
I am new here, and from what i see this looks like a great place. I have a 2004 Tundra SR5 Ext. cab. with a little over 100k on it. I am at a point where i need to replace the front rotors and pads (they have been resurfaced once) The stopping power is greatly diminished and i have a shimmy under braking.
I pull a 7x12 double axle trailer at about 6000lbs. The trailer does have brakes.
My question is i am not sure what to buy for brake parts. Is there a rotor/pad combo that would improve over factory, or should i just stay OEM and buy toyota rotors and pads?
Any direction on where to buy the parts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Also does anyone use air bags on the back of the tundra? i have spring helpers that are sort of clunkey, but work. The weight of the trailer squats the truck too much without them.
Thank you all!
Vince
Hey Vince,

Welcome to the best forum on the internet for Tundras!! Great choice in truck model by the way. We have the same year truck and I bought my truck at about 100,000 miles as well. My front brakes pulsed and I ended up replacing them with rotors from Advance Auto at around 150,000 miles. The fronts stared vibrating again after only 20,000 miles.

I need to replace the rotors but have not decided what to go with. I do not need additional stopping power some of the aftermarket products offer but this is not to imply that they are not good products. I am looking for something with stock or better stopping power but also longevity.

I pulled a trailer grossed at 6,000 lbs (and a little more at times) and noticed the rear squat with the weight. I considered helper springs but ended up retiring from landscaping and tree cutting and sold the business off. I still consider putting on a set of roadmaster suspension helpers just to improve handling a little.

Check out the brake forums on aftermarket brakes. If I remember correctly MEvang is the resident brake expert.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
My factory setup left a lot to be desired so I replaced it with ebc slotted rotors and yellowstuff kevlar pads. Yes it cost me a little over $300 to do it but the increased braking power was worth it. The factory setup never had anything near this much stopping power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts