Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m getting the P0240 code and I can’t get an inspection sticker until it’s resolved.
My exhaust is toast, rusted and needs to be replaced.
I’ve read that I should buy OEM parts, especially the cats but that’s big $$$.

Question:
Anyone have any experiance with the O2 extenders? Do they work?
Also, anyone know about the O2 Emulator that is being sold on EBay?

Please share your thoughts.
Thanks

Ps. If I do need to buy all new OEM Parts, who has the best prices?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Cant say from personal experience but I have read a lot on here that its very rare for the cats to fail and mostly just an 02 sensor failing or just leaking. And since you said your exhaust is toast, could be as simple as one is leaking so don't start throwing a ton of money at parts you might not need just yet. Do a search using the google custom search box you see on the right side of any page on this forum for just that code and see what you come up with. Here's a few to get you started.

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/131253-p0420-fault-code-diagnosed-and-fixed/

https://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/108201-i-think-dealer-trying-screw-my/

Post back what the outcome is. Too many people come on here, post a question but never come back to say what the cause was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up finding a good size leak next to the downstream o2 sensor today. I filled the hole with some job weld and cleared the code.
I’ll need to drive it now to see if the problem is fixed. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
If you have a local exhaust shop that you trust try them. Places like that are usually not that much money and can probably fix your leak properly without needing to replace your cats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll give that a try Monday.

I went to a shop on Friday.
He can do the entire system, including two cats and four O2 Sensors in Stainless for $2200.00.
He says he uses high metal content cats and will guarantee it for two years.

This will be my fallback unless someone has a good reason to advise against it.

I am concerned about not using OEM Parts but the cost of OEM parts is over $3K.

Advice?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Even if your exhaust is toast start by replacing piping from after the cat and leave them for now. Whats the worst that could happen? It doesn't fix the problem then you replace the cats. I just wouldn't start by replacing the most expensive part that is least likely to fail first, I'd go with the cheapest item and work my way up from there.

Go to either of the 2 posts I showed link above and post that question there. You will get more than just me reading it as members subscribe to threads they have replied to. I would be willing to bet most people will say do not replace your cats at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So as mentioned above, I did plug some of the holes in the exhaust and I thought I got them all.
I ended up find a few more and plugged them as well.
I’m confident I got them all.
I drove the truck and the light went out.

I couldn’t be more pleased.

Bottom line is if you are getting the code that you need to replace a cat, take the time to be sure you don’t have any leaks, even if they are pin holes before buying cats.

I used metal expoxy putty some thing gauge sheet metal and some hose clamps.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts