Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a certain 2004 tundra double cab with a lot of extras and options. It has quite a few miles 120k, but I believe it has been well taken care of. Any problems to look out for? What would you think this truck would be worth? What kind of gas mileage?
Anything helps me make this big decission.
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Considered buying a new Tundra - just couldn't wrap my arms around a $35-40,000 purchase price so.......

Last month i bought an 04, double cab, SR5, leather interior, 4WD, 48000 miles, new 18" wheels and tires, running boards, roll-n-lock bed cover, flowmaster exhaust. I estimated it had $5000 in aftermarket accessories. Paid $18000 plus $2000 for extended warranty - 36 months or 36000. I've put a K&N cold air kit on it and will install seat heaters (for the wife) in about a week.

If it had 120k on it I wouldn't have considered this truck because I keep a vehicle for a long time unless it gives me too many problems and plan to have this one for 15-20 years.

Suggest you contact a bank - see what the loan value is for that truck.

Hope this helps.

Ron

ps 14 mpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an '04 4x4 DC TRD SR5. Bought it new in July '04. The only modification is a Unichip. I have just under 70k miles and have never had a problem with it at all. There was a recall on either the upper or lower ball joint(can't remember) and had that done. I get 13-15 mpg in town and 17-19 on the highway. I have gotten as high as 20.5 on the highway on long non-stop trips. I haven't looked at trade in value recently as I plan on keeping it several more years if it continues to stay trouble free. I run Michelin LTX/MS tires and they are a good match on that truck for my style of driving. i live in Texas so snow/ice isn't much of a factor. I do some off-road driving on south Texas ranches and in Big Bend National Park. It does a great job there with the exception of approach and departure angles. I've torn off 2-3 tow hitch plugs and scuffed the bottom of the front bumper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SR5 Double cab 4x4. Thanks for the input. I was wondering if there were common catastrophic breakdowns I could look for when doing a preinspection?

·
Registered
868 Posts
As far as what weak points there are, the transmission could be suspect at that kind of mileage. 120k is getting into the average life range. If the fluid was changed a few times and it wasn't used for towing it likely will be good for awhile. Engines typically are strong and go many many miles. I'd want to know that the timing belt was changed otherwise that's a big problem and not cheap (figure $500-$700 done right by a shop). In December, I sold my '05 DC SR5 4x4 60k miles with some nice options in the neighborhood of $16k. Values have plummeted since this recall debacle started. Book is about $1,500 less than when I sold it in December so you MIGHT get a deal. I would think the values will rebound at some point so it shouldn't be too risky but I would NOT overpay at this point. Take a look at KBB and Edmunds values and average the two. That should get you in the ballpark of what to pay. I would guess somewhere in the $10-12,000 at the moment.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well i have an 04 i bought it at end of 07 its a 4x4,sr5,double cab and had 102k i paid 12,000 truck besides miles showed to be great condition. it had rolling bed cover decent bfg rugged trails. i would not be to scared by the miles, i now have 118k and everything is original. shifts perfectly i go play in the mud alot and do all the things i shouldnt do with it and it'snever failed... things i dont like: 4spd auto... if yiu drive over 65 on hwy gas mialage goes down alot due to higher rpms..... 05-up had 5spds....andi need lumbar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 04 double cab with around 60,000 miles... only problem was a recall on the ball joint. They replaced that for nothing and the truck is golden! We tow a 28 foot travel trailor (5000pounds) and have since we got the truck. Has been through the mountains of NC and down to the Daytona 500 several times camping. We LOVE our truck! Mostly it tows to NC beaches. We run Goodyear Fortera triple treads on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts