Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I have a quick question. I have a stock 2004 Tundra SR5 Reg Cab 4x4 8' bed automatic. Bought it new in 2004 and have ran Mobil 1 since week 1 and change every 5k approx. Run 87 octane. The truck has about 103k on it. I have not done any tune ups, but have rotated the tires and get the fluids changed as recommended. In 2005 I put a Leer contractor style cap on it, with an intergrated ladder rack. Sitting pretty flush to the cab. I get about 13 miles to gallon or so I figure between 300 miles per 22.5 gallon tank, sometimes less-rarely more. This is with no payload. This is mixed driving say 85% highway around 70 mph.

My question: is the cap causing my poor mpg's? If so, what will it increase to remove the cap, and or get a soft tonneau cover?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I has to be a combination of the bed cap and more importantly, that ladder rack, for which you MUST be carrying ladders for you to even have it. It must also have to do with the stuff you have to be hauling around in the bed with that cap, right?

Many would be surprised at their average MPH, that is, what they believe is "highway-driving". I have a meter in my Corvette and even when I do drive all highway miles, I still only average from 30-45 mph as all the time spent off the highway drops the average a lot.

I've gotten 17 mph, at the most on the highway but average from 14-15 mpg with no load/not towing and just commuting during my every day 52 mile roundtrip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My estimates where based on hauling nothing in bed, and very rarely carrying anything on the ladder racks...so at possible 17mpg I'm wondering is it worth taking the cap off. Then maybe get a tonneau cover?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm one of those nuts, like my dad was back when he was my age now, who calculates mpg every fill up as it is easy to do if one remembers to reset one of the trip odometers every time and the best I see is 17 mpg on all highway trips.

If you don't need the cap/rack, ditch it.

The issue with spending money on the tonneau cover, like I might need to do to put a stroller in the bed during the winters is, the money one might spend is tough to make back through the incremental increase in mpg.

Heck, if I can get 17 mpg with no cover, then getting a little more would be nice but I don't think I'd spend the $400+ for a nice new one to try and eek out a mpg savings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do the tack odometer check too! Its always within 10miles of 300 miles per tank. I bought the cap (almost $1500!!!) for a construction business, 5 yrs later I not hauling all the crap I used to. But I still need something. So I guess the cap IS effecting my MPG. Maybe 2-5 MPG's? I just need to decide if a tonneau is worth the possible minimal increase. I have seen tonneaus for high $200's low $300 on JC Whitney. The cap is starting to look older than the truck too...and I'm getting out of "construction business" anyways.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not to mention that the cap has weight, weight and a large surface area, and that despite the cap following the contour of the truck, the air still has more area to cling to as it moves on by.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a snugtop to fit my 02 tundra.. I had been getting about 12 mpg with the snugtop on.. as soon as I removed it, my mpg went up to 16.5 mpg on average. If you need the cover, keep it on... Do not get a tonneau unless you want your truck to be a big camry (with a large trunk). is 4 MPG over 21 gallons worth it to you to remove?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have a quick question. I have a stock 2004 Tundra SR5 Reg Cab 4x4 8' bed automatic. Bought it new in 2004 and have ran Mobil 1 since week 1 and change every 5k approx. Run 87 octane. The truck has about 103k on it. I have not done any tune ups, but have rotated the tires and get the fluids changed as recommended. In 2005 I put a Leer contractor style cap on it, with an intergrated ladder rack. Sitting pretty flush to the cab. I get about 13 miles to gallon or so I figure between 300 miles per 22.5 gallon tank, sometimes less-rarely more. This is with no payload. This is mixed driving say 85% highway around 70 mph.

My question: is the cap causing my poor mpg's? If so, what will it increase to remove the cap, and or get a soft tonneau cover?

Thanks in advance!!!
What was your MPG before the cap install? You can get a small MPG increase by using a higher test gasoline! Driving habits will be a big area that can increase MPG and good luck trying to increase MPG on a BFT!! Have you cleaned your throttle body or reset your computer? How much driving is above 70 MPH? That is what really sucks the MPG and i know of very few people that drive like GrandMa below 70 MPH! Any kinda cap will cause drag and will cause loss of MPG that was proven by GM when they built the first trucks years ago! I occasionally run some fuel inejector cleaner thru mine and strongly reccomend putting in 8 new spark plugs if they have been in that long! Run some premium top tier gasoline thru it after the spark plugs have been replaced and you should see some improvement!

·
Registered
63 Posts
around town only i get 9.9 - 11. wtf?!

2004 DC tundra 4x4 w/ toneau cover.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I have a 02 AC 4x4 LTD with 140k miles and i get 15 - 18 mpg 65% hwy with and with out my tonneu (vinyl cover) there is no notisable change in my mpg with it on or taking it off. My mpg to steamboat and back over the weekend was 21mpg there and i thought I made a mistake so i filled up again coming back with the same mpg. I am a firm believer in the PCCV swap. My citu mpg dropped to 13's so i swapped it out for a new one and it was back up in the 15's city

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm one of those nuts, like my dad was back when he was my age now, who calculates mpg every fill up as it is easy to do if one remembers to reset one of the trip odometers every time... .
haha, x2

actually got an app for my Droid that maps out how much $$ ive spent total, my avg $ per fillup, avg miles per fillup and all the other WOnderful data you can think of...
since im too lazy to do the math myself haha

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I would definitely do a tune-up. New plugs, air filter, probably new pcv valve,
cleaning the throttle body would be a good idea.

I used to run 87 in my truck but found that it does better with 89. Also, as
was mentioned, running a quality fuel injector or system cleaner would
be a good idea.

John

·
Registered
431 Posts
What's it called?
the title of the app on my phone is "aCar", there was a recent update for it so the graphs only show for like 10 seconds before going blurry, to try and get you to buy the full version, but whatever

its pretty neat man, definitely a cool little app

you have the droid im assuming?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This is funny, the reason you get poor gas mpg is the big 70 number! Anyone with a scangauge that gives you mpg read out will tell you that the faster you go the lower the mpg. Yes there are things that can help your truck slip through the air a little better but it is the speed!!!!!!!! Do you want to really get 18-20 mpg then go 55 mph, if you don't want that mpg then go faster. If you don't have very far to go I think it is something like 140 seconds per ten mile trip you save going 70. Short trips it doesn't pay but you pay. It is your time vs your money.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
the title of the app on my phone is "aCar", there was a recent update for it so the graphs only show for like 10 seconds before going blurry, to try and get you to buy the full version, but whatever

its pretty neat man, definitely a cool little app

you have the droid im assuming?
Yup. I just downloaded it. Looks like there's all kinds of cool crap on it. Thanks.:tu:

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a website which is awesome for fuel calc's and averages.. all the stuff you guys were talking about.

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

I found it on this website, and a few other tundra owners are on it.. It is awesome.. Check it out!!

·
7,925 Posts
This is funny, the reason you get poor gas mpg is the big 70 number! Anyone with a scangauge that gives you mpg read out will tell you that the faster you go the lower the mpg. Yes there are things that can help your truck slip through the air a little better but it is the speed!!!!!!!! Do you want to really get 18-20 mpg then go 55 mph, if you don't want that mpg then go faster. If you don't have very far to go I think it is something like 140 seconds per ten mile trip you save going 70. Short trips it doesn't pay but you pay. It is your time vs your money.
I run the highways at 75 MPH and still get 18+ and have turned in a few runs at 19+.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts