Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Let me start off by saying, I love my truck but I don't consider anything on the truck to be heavy duty enough to handle plowing. Especially the tranny and axles. If you want to plow, buy a $1000 sh*tbox to beat the crap out of.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
What he said. I guess if you were going to just plowing your own driveway it might
be okay, but if you plan on doing regular plowing like parking lots or streets I wouldn't
do it. And not just with this truck, I wouldn't do it with any truck that I wanted to
keep for a while. I would go out and buy the sh*tbox he was talking about and use
that seasonally.

John

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
I agree with the sh*tbox theory for anything out of the norm. I'm guessing you don't get much snow in K-ville. If you're talking about using it to make extra $$, go with the sh*tbox and not your primary rig. Years ago, I'd see some military guys w the small plow attached to their trucks, up in New Hampshire. They were doing grocery store lots, etc. It made me cringe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I plow with mine. I have a 2000 Tundra v8 AC 4x4. I have a 500 foot long driveway and it handles it ok. I use a Snowsport HD plow that hooks into a front hitch. I did blow the tube from my tranny cooler inside the radiator around the same time as plowing. I'm not sure if the plowing caused it but I wouldn't be surprised. These trucks are by no means "heavy duty" as the posters above pointed out. Your better off not using your truck if it is your everyday vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We use them for plows at our car lot....we get a lot of snow and its quite a large yard, the plow runs all day with a good dump. It's also a company truck, so I can't say it gets used gently by any stretch.

I don't know the exact model, but it's a fisher and looks like that:

Fisher Engineering - Snow & Ice Control Equipment - Snowplow Models - HD Series

Seems pretty heavy for that truck, if it was my personal truck that was only used for driveways, I would probably go one lighter, but for the big lot it needs to be as big as possible. We've had it on a RC LB 04 Tundy, and now on a RC SB 07. Both V8 4x4's, of course. Plow gets put on for 3-4 months straight, and the truck plows continously if it's snowing and still drives around town in between for deliveries and such. Never had so much as a wimper from the trucks in 5+ years, not one issue whatsoever.

If it were mine, I would put lift spacers in the front, or some ballast in the box....ideally a combo of the 2. But with the work one we just slap it on and pin it. Rides a bit low in the front that way, but like I say....no problems at all from any component. I would assume we're exceeding whatever the front end is rated for, but it's nice to know it will handle it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for your comments / response. At first I had a friend tell me he doubts that it would do the job (a good sincere friend) But, I have been reading continuosly for a day or two and and everything I have read says go for it (similar to your response) once again its for 10 -15 residential drives +/- and maybe a small commercial lot 10,000 s/f max. So far Sno Way appears to be my best best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts