Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through a TON of posts about swapping out stock speakers for my Tundra and I've settled on the Polk DB651. I wanted to verify what I had read so I took off one of the door panels to have a looksee and what I found was an additional speaker next to the existing JBL 6.5. It's roughly 2" in diameter but I can't find information about it anywhere online. The DB651 has a mounted tweeter so is this other speaker one as well and will it all be overkill? I mean there's already a tweeter near the mirror mount on the door, and adding the DB651 will make a total of 3? Or is this 2" speaker just a smaller mid-range speaker, and if so does anyone know what would replace it?

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a couple posts from a few years ago that say that smaller speaker is either a 2" or a 2.2" but I can't find anything that size to replace them...any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I checked out that site before, but I'm pretty sure the size they're listing for the other speaker is the tweeter near the mirror. This other speaker definitely wasn't 1 3/8". I've ordered some 3.5" Polk speakers so I'll update once I've made the attempt to install! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to find another driver to fill the hole where the little 2" mid-range driver is?
Your stock system is more-or-less a three-way setup. The DB651's you bought are coaxial 2-way speakers with the tweeter mounted on the pole of the mid-bass driver. They are designed to reproduce the full audio spectrum (at least 35-22K Hz).

So you don't need anything more. Just use the stock plastic speaker baffle as a template to make new baffles out of MDF to house your DB651's. Mount them in the doors, hook them up, and be done! You don't need to find replacements or use the stock tweeter and mid-range drivers.

Just because there is a small driver there, doesn't mean it has to be replaced by something. A three-way setup is just a different approach to reproducing sound than a two-way system. There are plus's and minus's of each approach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So in my front doors I have 3 separate stock speakers: tweeter up top, 6.5" in the door panel, 3.5" next to the 6.5". Those 3.5's are stock speakers with a paper cone. Figure if the 6.5's blew it won't be long before they blow as well and wanted to get them switched out while I had the doors apart. Or should I be doing something else with those mids?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I don't think you understand, so I'll try to explain again.........You don't need to replace the small 3.5" driver in your door!
You bought the DB651 speakers, which are 2-way coaxial. The stock speakers are a 3-way system. They are both complete systems. either use one or the other, not a mixture of both sets.

If you still don't understand, then consult a local audio shop for help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I called Best Buy before purchasing, they failed to mention I didn't need them. o_O

So once I get the new 6.5's in, should I remove the original 3.5's and just cap the wires? Or is there something else I should do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I combine the wires from both speakers and connect to the Polks or just the ones from the stock 7's? I think you (suckerswalk) meant to cap the 3" mid wires but want to be sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts