Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum---tried searching this topic before posting---

I have a stock 2004 Toyota Tundra [access cab-2wd] that's just hit 110,000 and still drives like it's 10miles old...love the truck-it's a been a priceless asset to the household. Now it's time to give it some TLC and I'm starting with the suspension and tires.

First off-the truck's duties are very, very little "around town/commuting" use, but travels to Baja at least twice a month from the Los Angeles/Orange County area with two dirtbikes, some luggage as cargo. Some trail-travel on graded dirt roads---

I 've been looking at two suspension kits/upgrades that seem to be the attention of a lot of folks---KING and BILSTEIN. And BF Goodrich replacements-

A set of KING for the front has been hovering around $950-for the front and a whole set of front back BILSTEIN have been about $500.00 for front back. Gut/wallet says that the BILSTEIN will be a good/wise choice. The KING set up seems like THE WAY TO GO, but I'd need to indebt my next of kin for at least two generations...

---ideas? ---suggestions? ---psychotherapy?

---I know dumping this type of money into a truck that's last for so long is a good option to diving into a new car/truck payment---but going the KING route sounds like I'd be pouring about $2500.00 for tires, suspension and installation...

THANKS-I'm anticipating your responses/help/insights

·
Registered
407 Posts
if you use the truck for just communiting and traveling with minimal(light duty) pulling/towing... why not just a leveling kit instead of coilovers?

I say use your stock shocks on a 3/1 kit like I have, the ride quality doesnt change much... get some bigger tires and you are good.

I like the leveling kits because if you have a coilover that blows out on you then you are really screwed.... but if you have a shock blow out on you then you can replace it fairly inexpensively.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts