Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I barely made my first turn coming out of my driveway when my 04 Tundra it completely shut off.
Battery light came on and the check engine light came on as well.I attempted to start it and it sounded like it was attempting to turn over but the engine will not engage.
Even after I let go of the key from the ON position it still tried to turn over for a few more seconds before stopping. I lifted the hood and noticed that there was a electrical buzzing noise that went on for a few seconds as well.
Checked the fluids, belts all looked fine with no visible issues . What's even more odd is I drove it around earlier in the day and no issues.
I bought a code reader and it when I plugged it in the the reader came displayed P0340 Camshaft position sensor A code 2 times, once in stored and the other in pending.
My battery connections are good and its a recently replaced battery.
Before I go ripping my truck apart what should I check next? What can I check with the truck not able to turn on? How do I know if its a fault with the charging system or starter?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Start by just unplugging it and making sure its not just come undone. You can google it pretty easy to find the location but since your truck is dual overhead cams I believe there is one on the top of each head at the front, I just dont know if A means passenger or driver side. Then check all the wiring from that sensor to make sure its not damaged. Its not uncommon for people to find mice have made a home in their engine bay and chewed on the wiring. Apparently the coating is soy based and they rather enjoy the taste.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I found out what was causing the sensor alert.
My water pump seized and the timing belt was destroyed.
Obviously causing a lot of damage.
Is it true that when that happens that it would cause bent valves because of how the engine was designed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I found out what was causing the sensor alert.
My water pump seized and the timing belt was destroyed.
Obviously causing a lot of damage.
Is it true that when that happens that it would cause bent valves because of how the engine was designed?
It is an interference engine but many people have gotten lucky when their belt broke at a low engine speed. Keep your fingers crossed, you may just need to replace the pump, belt, etc and be on your way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I guess I got lucky. I was actually going about 75 on the highway when my water pump seized. Luckily it seized in a way that the belt shredded and stopped the motor before any valves were damaged. Hopefully you will as lucky...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts