Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 04 double cab that I love. My buddy just got a new car and is looking to get rid of his 05 double cab. I'm considering upgrading by one year. Does anyone know what Toyota changed between these 2 years? I know they went to a 5 speed trainsmission rather than the 4 speed. Does this help with gas mileage any? Any other major changes?

thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
the 2005 and 2006 tundras have the Varible Valve Timing (VVT) That helps the power a lot and torque. Specs on the 05 V8 are 282 hp and 325 torque. The 06 goes down a little cause of some new testing methods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The other difference, although minor, is the gauge faces. They changed for 2005 and no longer look like they are from a '94 Camry.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a 2002 Tundra with the 4-speed transmission and now own an 06 with the 5-speed. In my 02, I would average about 13.5-13.8 mpg, in all-city, granny driving (not a lot of throttle). I've only filled my 06 up twice so far, but I've got about 15.9 mpg both times, in all-city driving, driving normally (some good part-throttle passes, etc). I've noticed a nice difference in gas mileage between the two. Both were 4x2 access cabs with the V8 by the way.

The two definitely have a different feel to them though with the two different transmissions and vvti/non-vvti engines.

How much would it cost you to switch trucks, and how many miles are on each truck? If he's a friend of yours, maybe he'll let you use his truck for a week and see how you like it.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
VVTI. So more power and torque. Different Headlights and parking lights. Diffrerent tail lights. Different gauges. 5 speed tranny. That is all i can think of right now.

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
glousteau said:
Hi, I have an 04 double cab that I love. My buddy just got a new car and is looking to get rid of his 05 double cab. I'm considering upgrading by one year. Does anyone know what Toyota changed between these 2 years? I know they went to a 5 speed trainsmission rather than the 4 speed. Does this help with gas mileage any? Any other major changes?

thanks.

I posted this information on ts when I received information on the key changes a wile back..

vvti iforce with More Hp and 5 speed auto trans with No dipstick transmission (non Serviceable) ...

changes in seat headrest materials added on middle seat on rear access cab's.

changed gauge cluster design however same Old pattern just New cluster..

opitional DVD based Navigation system added for 05 However same camry based dvd nav from the 02 up camry (dual din)

changes made on headlights with daytime running light found on the corner and rear tailight design changes on access cab's however can be upgraded to every tundra from 00 to 04...

towing figured remained the same on 04 and 05 Tundra's

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
bbfirebird said:
I had a 2002 Tundra with the 4-speed transmission and now own an 06 with the 5-speed. In my 02, I would average about 13.5-13.8 mpg, in all-city, granny driving (not a lot of throttle). I've only filled my 06 up twice so far, but I've got about 15.9 mpg both times, in all-city driving, driving normally (some good part-throttle passes, etc). I've noticed a nice difference in gas mileage between the two. Both were 4x2 access cabs with the V8 by the way.

The two definitely have a different feel to them though with the two different transmissions and vvti/non-vvti engines.

How much would it cost you to switch trucks, and how many miles are on each truck? If he's a friend of yours, maybe he'll let you use his truck for a week and see how you like it.

Mpg is going to Varie on user output I've driven the new 06 with Vvti and It didnt provide any noticable Gain On fuel economy vs my 04 that get's around 16 MPG city...

·
Registered
379 Posts
SDtundra858 said:
Specs on the 05 V8 are 282 hp and 325 torque. The 06 goes down a little cause of some new testing methods.
The 05s and 06 make the same power- 271 HP and 313 Lb/ft. They are identical engines, Toyota just changed to the more accurate SAE net power ratings for 2006, which have stricter testing policies than the previous SAE ratings. The previous SAE ratings did not account for fuel octane, ignition timing, synthetic (or non-synthetic) oils, mufflers, and other factors that could be "tweaked" to achieve better numbers. SAE net changes that by measuring an engine's power in the exact configuration it would be in the vehicle, and gives an accurate measurement of power made. So although the 05s were rated at 282/325, Toyota was padding the numbers a bit by "helping out" the engines that were dynoed, so the numbers are not representative of what actually went into the vehicles. Many Hondas and Toyotas "lost" HP by switching over to SAE net ratings. Oddly, many GM engines ended up gaining power- most famously the LS7 engine from the Z06 Corvette, which went from 500 HP to 505. Who would have guessed?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
don't forget no supercharger available for vvti (yes, i know it's controversial) and no dyno proven headers that aren't a pain in the a$$ for the vvti. seems the variable valve timing and intake runners make it difficult to tune headers across the whole rpm band and you either need to design for low end or high end more so then in the pre vvti engines.

also, fwiw, i belive the 4 speed tranny is less controlled by the ecu then the 5 speed. for example, the 4 does not sense when you want to engine brake and try to upshift for you (when tapping the brake for example). that is a user preference, some seem to like the convenience, others don't.

i agree with bbfirebird. you should try to drive the 05 for a week and make up your own mind if you like it or not.

·
Registered
528 Posts
'04- metal intake manifold
'05- plastic intake manifold...(supposed to condense heat better)
I'll take metal over plastic.
Although, some of the Lexus motors use the plastic intake.
Other manufacturer's also do the same.

·
Registered
379 Posts
lildamit said:
'04- metal intake manifold
'05- plastic intake manifold...(supposed to condense heat better)
I'll take metal over plastic.
Although, some of the Lexus motors use the plastic intake.
Other manufacturer's also do the same.
Plastic intakes do not absorb as much heat as metal intakes do. It helps make more power by keeping the incoming air cooler. Metal intakes can get pretty hot, which increases the temperature of incoming air, which means less power. It's not a huge difference, but every bit helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
bbfirebird said:
Plastic intakes do not absorb as much heat as metal intakes do.
...hence my quote above... 2 posts up in post # 10 ("supposed to condense heat better")
con·dense (k
n-d
ns
)
v. con·densed, con·dens·ing, con·dens·es
1.) To reduce the volume or compass of.

Actually....I had to find reasons to stop kickin' myself in the a$$ for not waiting on an '05.
I like the 5 sp. tranny which I don't have on my '04, but I don't like a sealed tranny either.
I'm just mad because an '05 and an '06 would blow my doors off.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts