Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news guys! I emailed Gibson over the weekend to see if their 2000-2004 long-tube headers fit the 2005-2006 4.7L, and I rec'd an email back today asking me to call back a "Project Manager" in the main office. Evidently there have been a few others inquiring about the same application, and they have already had two other 2005/2006s in for fitment and fabrication. Well, I got an appointment on Monday morning(the 16th) to drop off my truck to get dyno tested before and after header installation. The only downfall is that they need my truck somewhere between 1-5 days. Oh well, it will all be worth it when I see the end result!

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, mainly cuz I've heard there are some quality issues with the other brands, and this will give us some hope. So far I have had three Gibson exhaust systems on my current and previous trucks, and have had no problems with quality or customer service issues. Hopefully same holds true with my new headers!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sounds good, hopfully theirs don't throw off check engine lights.

The only prob with tundra headers is that the labor to put them in is insane, usually as much as the header itself, and I don't know how much power they will really gain on an VVTI motor....we will see.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hopefully it won't be $500+! That is why I have been staying away from them. Bought headers for my 5.0 @ summit last weekend for $250.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hopefully it won't be $500+! That is why I have been staying away from them. Bought headers for my 5.0 @ summit last weekend for $250.
Depends on the material, I think their lowest header will be in the 300's & their stainless is a lowergrade than 304, so it will prob be about in the 5's

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you cant leave your truck there i will... let me know if they need another truck
I will definitely be leaving my truck there, as I already have an appointment setup with their techs. But I will of course let you know if they need another truck. I remember him telling me though that they have already had two trucks in there for fitment and dynos, and he said that they usually get at least three in there when doing this R&D. They want to be sure that the results are all relatively the same for the particular model. That in itself is good to know because then it will be more of a real world figure when its all said and done.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on the material, I think their lowest header will be in the 300's & their stainless is a lowergrade than 304, so it will prob be about in the 5's
Yeah, that seems to be pretty accurate based on the earlier models. The good thing that I've noticed with Gibson is that they usually try and work on the low to midrange power which is more usable in most situations like towing and off the line torque.

·
Registered
287 Posts
STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIBSON IS TRASH!

I went through this in my 04' Tundra... they used it for R & D to make the headers for 00-04' and I got a free catback exhaust along with SS Headers in return....

The mechanics SUCK! I left them my truck for TWO weeks, got it back and when i got home all my oil was just gushing out, turns out they forgot to reconnect the line that the dipstick to check the oil went to. What if I would of driven another 5 min? I would of destroyed my motor.

The exhuast did NOTHING. NO POWER GAINS AT ALL, if anythign I probably lost power. Sound, what sound? too quiet of an exhaust, even with the headers.... not to mention the headers that I got started warping and had a nasty exhaust leak from 2000 miles after installation on. And the muffler cracked at one of the welds.... at about 30k, they wouldent cover labor under warranty and it was a bolt on system that they had tack welded, so I pretty much had to fork out some $$ to fix a problem that THEY should have covered. Not to mention the exhaust leak from the headers was never "found" by the mechanics.

STAY AWAY FROM GIBSON, GO WITH JBL HEADERS INSTEAD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIBSON IS TRASH!

I went through this in my 04' Tundra... they used it for R & D to make the headers for 00-04' and I got a free catback exhaust along with SS Headers in return....

The mechanics SUCK! I left them my truck for TWO weeks, got it back and when i got home all my oil was just gushing out, turns out they forgot to reconnect the line that the dipstick to check the oil went to. What if I would of driven another 5 min? I would of destroyed my motor.

The exhuast did NOTHING. NO POWER GAINS AT ALL, if anythign I probably lost power. Sound, what sound? too quiet of an exhaust, even with the headers.... not to mention the headers that I got started warping and had a nasty exhaust leak from 2000 miles after installation on. And the muffler cracked at one of the welds.... at about 30k, they wouldent cover labor under warranty and it was a bolt on system that they had tack welded, so I pretty much had to fork out some $$ to fix a problem that THEY should have covered. Not to mention the exhaust leak from the headers was never "found" by the mechanics.

STAY AWAY FROM GIBSON, GO WITH JBL HEADERS INSTEAD.
Well that puts a wrench in things doesn't it.

Wow, that sucks that happened to you. You are however the first person I've ever heard bash their product. I will still at least bring it to them and see what they have to say, and I will probably risk it. I will just look over the engine compartment really good when completed. I'm not saying I'm not a little nervous about it though. It's funny though that you mention to buy JBA's instead, when all I hear is bashing about them and their poor quality. I've heard of guys getting three different sets from JBA due to quality issues, and still aren't happy.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
too bad TRD doesn't make any headers for all you vvti guys.
I think there is a good reason why they don't . No power to be had with headers. Thats just my forcast.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I've been following several of these exhaust threads plus looking at the manufacturers websites and dyno sheets when posted. The one commonality I see is that every sheet shows a loss of tq at less than 3500 rpm. It's only at the higer revs that the gains seem to be made. Who wants to drive around spooled up all the time unless you're racing. I personally am going to leave well enough alone and leave her stock. I'm going to make my noise when I turn up the volume on my stereo.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I've been following several of these exhaust threads plus looking at the manufacturers websites and dyno sheets when posted. The one commonality I see is that every sheet shows a loss of tq at less than 3500 rpm. It's only at the higer revs that the gains seem to be made. Who wants to drive around spooled up all the time unless you're racing. I personally am going to leave well enough alone and leave her stock. I'm going to make my noise when I turn up the volume on my stereo.

:D :D Well said!!:D :D . As for the hp increase at WOT, how much is there to be had? 10hp? 20hp maybe:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Well that puts a wrench in things doesn't it.

It's funny though that you mention to buy JBA's instead, when all I hear is bashing about them and their poor quality. I've heard of guys getting three different sets from JBA due to quality issues, and still aren't happy.
I've had my JBA's on for 2 1/2 years, no issues at all. I used JBA gaskets and Toyota studs and lock nuts. Ti coated, and they still look good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
JBA's were great for pre 05 Tundra's, but too much loss of low-end for the vvti engines. Maybe Gibson can do something different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts