Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a couple of questions about getting a Tundra for towing - mainly towing a pontoon boat. Liking the smaller, pre-2007 models, I've settled upon a used 2005 or 2006 4wd V8 Tundra. My questions are as follows:
1. Do Tundras from these years come with the "towing package" as standard, or are they only on certain Tundras?
2. Is a 2005 or 2006 4wd V8 Tundra a good choice for towing a pontoon boat? I live in an area with a lot of mountainous, winding roads. Never having towed a boat before, I'm very new at this, so any help advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most do come with the factory tow package. Even a 2wd truck will be fine, just remember pulling a pontoon is like towing a parchute behind your truck.:eek: Take a look at the boat post in the towing forum, I posted a pic there this am. You might also want to check out Pontoon & Deck Boat Magazine, best pontoon forum on the web.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 05 4wd Tundra and tow a 21 ft pontoon boat with no trouble. Its about fifteen mins to the boat ramp and its all winding and hilly, no problems.
Just remember there is a big boat behind you and dont try to get there too fast.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What cab config are you looking at? I ask because I think all DC from 2005-up have the towing package as standard equipment. It's really simple to find out if a truck has the towing package or not in the year range your looking at. Just look at the rear of the truck. If it has the factory hitch AND a 7-pin round plug for the trailering lights then it should have the factory towing package (can't just look for one with a hitch and the smaller 4-way flat plug for lights, I think that's standard on all Tundra's). Also, up front when you lift the hood you should see an extra cooler for the transmission mounted right in plain sight in front of everything else.;)

I'd also recommend the automatic 5-speed transmission. I know it's on every 2006 model, but I'm not sure if it's on the 2005's. Anyway, I love this transmission! It shifts very smoothly and seems to have a lower first gear. Transmission does a great job of shifting at the right times for different types of loads and conditions. I tow a small travel trailer (9.5 feet high brick!) and can tow in 5th gear under most flat to moderate hilly road conditions (except heavy head winds and constant hills/grades). All other times I just kick overdrive off and cruise along in 4th gear.

Good Luck on your search :tu:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tow a 27 ft offshore boat (very heavy) with my 05 DC and it's no big deal. Slow from the start but it can do it. I'm sure you can handle a pontoon boat fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. It's been really helpful. I have a follow-up question. I would like to get a V8 4WD extended cab tundra. However, in my search for these tundras in the years I want (2005 or 2006), I've found that the double cab is much more common. Here's the question: in the 2005 & 2006 tundras, if you have a double cab, does the larger cab size take away or subtract from the size of the truck's bed? In other words, I'm wondering if there's a trade off - does the size of the truck bed decrease as the cab size increases, or does the truck bed size remain consistent across the extended cab and the double cab models? Thanks again! I'm getting very excited about buying my first tundra.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. It's been really helpful. I have a follow-up question. I would like to get a V8 4WD extended cab tundra. However, in my search for these tundras in the years I want (2005 or 2006), I've found that the double cab is much more common. Here's the question: in the 2005 & 2006 tundras, if you have a double cab, does the larger cab size take away or subtract from the size of the truck's bed? In other words, I'm wondering if there's a trade off - does the size of the truck bed decrease as the cab size increases, or does the truck bed size remain consistent across the extended cab and the double cab models? Thanks again! I'm getting very excited about buying my first tundra.
don't quote me on this but, i believe the double and access(extended) cabs were both standard 6.5 ft. beds. the only configuration available with an 8ft. bed was the regular cab on 05 & 06 models.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am awaiting delivery of a Ranger 1850 Reata. It's around 4500 lbs. I have the 05 reg cab 4x4 with 8ft bed. One of the reasons I bought this truck is to pull a boat. I've pulled a 19ft ranger and it was no problem at all with steep boat ramps in 2WD.
I pulled a 16ft trailer, 290 miles, loaded with three bed rooms of furniture and the bed loaded with all it could hold from mid-Florida last weekend.
I started out with the OD turned off and once on I-10 I turned it back on and never touched it again. Going down I got 17.3 mpg at 2200 rpm & 70 mph, comming back with the load I got 15.9 at 2600 rpm & 70 mph.
I'm pleased :tu:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think blitz is right....both have a 6.5 ft. bed.....some tight lots I definitely noticed the extra length on mine.

As for towing.....what is the weight of your pontoon? My flats boat loaded with all my gear and a full tank comes in at 2500 lbs. Tundra tows it no problem. I fish Flamingo in the everglades usually and its a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. Never (knock on wood) had a problem towing, or pulling boat out of a ramp.

Mine came with the towing package and was the 7 pin round R/V plug.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I used to pull a 23' pontoon with my 88 toyota 4x4 with the 3L v6 and it did fine. A tundra will do even better so don't sweat it.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
I think its like two inches or so difference not much.

·
Registered
971 Posts
There is very little difference between the AC and DC beds, the AC bed I believe is about 1.5 inches longer but the DC bed is a couple of inches deeper. Also the 05 Tundras do have the 5 speed tranny just like the 06 model and both models have the VVTi engine, 05 was the first model year to have these features.:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Going down I got 17.3 mpg at 2200 rpm & 70 mph, comming back with the load I got 15.9 at 2600 rpm & 70 mph.
I'm pleased :tu:
I also tow with overdrive on as long as there's not constant headwinds or hills. You rpm's while in overdrive should be the same towing or not. The fact that your running higher rpms towing vs. not towing means your torque converter is not locking up. That is bad news towing or not!

If your going to tow in overdrive that's fine, but you have to make sure your torque converter is locking up. If it doesn't then too much power is needed to maintain your speed for torque converter lockup and suggests you should shift down a gear (OD off) so the torque converter can fully lock up.
;)

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I pull my 28 foot off shore with no problem. I have pulled this boat with an 03 Chevy SS, and an 01 F 150. This Toyota pulls the boat the best!

I would sugest a rear sway bar. it helps the truck in all road situations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tow a 27 ft offshore boat (very heavy) with my 05 DC and it's no big deal. Slow from the start but it can do it. I'm sure you can handle a pontoon boat fine.
i to have the 05 Dc 4x4 sr5 with tow package.Im buying a springdale 26rlssr travel trailer weighing 6150 dry and 28'11 feet overall.I tow a 5000lb+ at 25ft overall length trailer now with no problems at all.I have electric brake controller,Reese WDH and Reese Dual cam Sway Control. Do you think it will be a good towing expierence,i will be only using this Tundra for this season as i got my eye on a new Tundra for next season
.My main concern is getting it home safley from the dealer that is 600 miles away...Any advice would be great .

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts