Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I've been lurking here for a few months and I've managed to find answers for most of my questions by searching the forums, however I don't seem to be able to find the answer for this one.

I decided to swap my aging minivan for a 1st gen Sequoia. Ideally I'd like one with regular suspension in the back, however as I live in an area with heavy winter salt use, finding a clean one without much rust is like finding a unicorn and so far all the candidates had the optional air suspension.

What I'm wondering about is whether it would be very difficult or at all possible to replace the air suspension with the regular (let's say stock) setup? What kind of issues could I run into? Would this process be reversible (in case I want to sell the vehicle down the road)?

I could definitely live with a few warning lights on the dashboard, but because this will be a daily driver, I don't want to compromise any of the truck's safety features.

Your feedback will much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a set to factory springs in a box right now to see if this is possible. However I am busy most of the time and have not gotten around to it. From what I can tell you will also need to replace the rear shocks because the ones for the Air Springs have a heavier valving.

I am hoping that with the spring and shock swap I can pull the fuse for the air system and not have any lights. If this doesn't work I will try to position the sensors so that it always reads the correct ride height.

Last post I talk about why I think this shouldn't be super difficult. I don't know though.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/329857-need-some-oe-rear-springs/#post2623377

Could someone with coil suspension take a pic of the upper and lower spring perches? I want to compare it to mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I'll be keeping an eye on your thread for the updates!

You mentioned that your system is leaking and is very expensive to fix? Are we talking the bags only or something else? If I may - what $ range were you quoted?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I think the air springs are about 300 a piece. Plus I would like to eventually add a lift so this is really step 1 to make sure regular springs work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm about to take a leap of faith on this one and buy the OME 862's and rear 5100's. I'm hoping someone has a pic of their non-air bag rear spring seat.

I heard I'll need to order a new upper spring seat which makes sense, but I want to know about the bottom spring seat.

Currently my front setup is 5100's all the way up.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The bottom spring seat seems to be ready to accept a standard coil spring. I have had my air springs removed before, and there doesn't seem to be anything special about the spring seat on the axle that would lead me to believe it cannot fit a standard coil spring. But you will definitely need an upper spring seat. That much is certain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The axle housings are the same. You will have to order the upper spring insulator to use coils. Why don't you use the bags and replace the shocks? Looks like some peeps are doing it that way. They must run on high all of the time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I simply adjusted the ride height sensor on my rear air suspension to lift the rear to match the toytec 2.5" front lift (adj Bilstein coilovers). I probably won't lift higher than that in order to keep the front CV angles from being too extreme.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

I want conventional springs and shocks because they are longer and will give more travel. Also the OME 862's are progressive so I would think they would ride a little better than the pumped up bags. They are a little stiff.

I'll probably get this going in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I joined to find out if this is possible. Does anyone know if it works? Is there a YouTube or any video of anyone doing this? I have a 2005 Limited 4X4 w/Air suspension. It will bounce from time to time and sometimes it's so bad I feel like I'm in a low rider purposefully making it "bounce". I can be on the smoothest, just paved road and if the air suspension is messing up, it will just bounce the whole time. I want to replace with coil overs and new shocks. Does anyone know if this is possible?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes, it is possible to remove the rear air bags completely, and replace them with new coil springs and insulators. You'll need new shocks, too. Reportedly, the insulators are difficult to find at a junkyard. They're about $130 each
new from online Toyota parts outlets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
XPLORx4 is correct. I've collected parts and am doing the swap this weekend. Last year I fabbed a bracket to extend the air suspension height sensor linkage and trick the rear end into thinking its riding normal when it's really raised 2.5 inches. Ride quality suffered but I've been too busy and/or cheap to make the swap until now. Only need 3 things: OEM upper coil insulators (no aftermarket available at this time and used were tricky to track down), your springs of choice, your shocks of choice. Should probably gather up some tools, beer and patience as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
BLK07SR5
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing