Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another THANK YOU! to merrifie for the excellent post. My 2005 (80k) Highlander's moonroof stuck open. Took it to the dealer and received a quote for $1580 to replace the motor and cable. Found your post and once I remove the pinion gear found the same problem--cable damaged in the motor. The whole process took two hours.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
My 03 jammed and took it to the dealership in 04..they fixed the jam but it would make noise after.. I lived with for a while until I solved the issue myself.. its just an issue of dry grease, dirt and worn /pitted plastic guide.. Also maybe some ...... engineering. The good thing is the system uses a current sensing mech. Essentially what happens is one side jams and throws the system off line. I can provide info on my fix if needed.:D

Grease and a couple of screws.....Works like a charm... $2.00 fix..

Now if I could just solve my chassis /front end squeak..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a little secret that I found out after Keith Pierson Toyota tried to rip a older gentleman for $600.00 that just wanted to get the thing closed. Push the tilt button for 10-15 seconds and that puts it in a manual mode then close. Worked for us. The glass is out of wack on that vehicle but still closed.
Your suggestion worked like a charm...thank you SO MUCH for posting this and saving so many hundreds of dollars!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Huge thanks to JFRD10!!! I registered specially to thank you for your advise. I have been recently assigned to a post in Africa and bought here an old 4runner of 2003. with poor service level and occassionally heavy rains, I was lost when had a problem with stuck open sunroof (stupid idea to sunbath while driving the car, as not having much time to go to the beach). Your suggestion worked perfectly on my car , end even more it closed by itself without doing anything manually. I will touch no more to sunroof.... THANKS. THANKS. THANKS
Here's a little secret that I found out after Keith Pierson Toyota tried to rip a older gentleman for $600.00 that just wanted to get the thing closed. Push the tilt button for 10-15 seconds and that puts it in a manual mode then close. Worked for us. The glass is out of wack on that vehicle but still closed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the road last Friday with my sunroof open. When I pulled onto the interstate, the wind got to be too loud so I closed my sunroof. I shouldn't have closed it with the wind blowing so hard, but I did it before thinking. Anyway, it slid forward all the way but did not slide up to seal flush with the top;

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to thank you all for the info on the 15 second tilt button to close my stuck Sunroof tonight! I was not a member of this forum previously, but signed up just to say thanks! I have a 2004 4Runner with 200K miles, and opened my sunroof tonight on my way home. I heard the familiar clicking just as it fully opened. I had a similar problem within the first few years I owned the truck, but got it unstuck manually and the dealer fixed it under warranty. I really wasn't looking forward to spending a lot of money fixing this. So i found your suggestion within 5 minutes of checking on-line, and the tilt button trick worked!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
901 Posts
View attachment 214106

I know this is an old post, but I had my moonroof jam in the open position and wouldn't close properly. I found this thread, and after pushing and holding the tilt, I was able to get the moonroof closed. I then searched around for detailed instructions for a repair. What I did discover was that Toyota had issued a TSB for this exact problem. I found the TSB and did the repair myself. Most roofs can be repaired by completing the TSB. I didn't buy the parts, just removed and cleaned up the old parts, then calibrated the tracks. Read through the attached TSB, and then do the repair yourself. The first part of the tsb deals with cleaning up the old grease and putting new lubricant on the slides. The second part deals with the calibration. I did the entire TSB in less than an hour. Moonroof was off by 1 notch, calibrated the track, and it works perfect now. Hope this helps someone.

Moderators, please post this updated TSB

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 4Runner owner

This blog is AWESOME! Your 15 sec tip saved my ass.
Already had one complete roof assembly replaced years ago under EX Warranty.
Now, Dealer wanted to find prob. ($119 to diagnose). Could not diagnose prob and est repairs until they could tear out all headliner and pillar trim ($989.oo). They could then advise me of parts and labor to actually repair after tear-down. I just wanted to get the SOB closed. They said no way. Rent a car and leave for a week. I picked up the truck.

Found your Forum. I tried the 15 sec tilt trick. Had to try it a couple of times...but WALLAAA...roof closed all the way.
Now I 'll deal with dealer on actual repairs. Now, I have their TSB (which they knew nothing about!) ?????
I'm going to contact Toyota's Zone/Regional manager and see what he thinks about what I learned from your posts.

Thanks so much, guys. Think of how many Toyota owners with this prob are getting ripped for $1500-$2000-$3000 for
a simple fix. It should be consumer FRAUD.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for this thread, everything works like a champ now. I strongly suggest try the tilt button ( tilt up for 15 seconds) fist and repeat. eventually it will close with minor assitance of a helping hand pulling the moonroof shut

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 Tundra (only owned a month) sunroof jammed open yesterday. So I read these posts, and tried the "15-second" fix. Turned the key on, pushed the Tilt (up) button for 15 seconds. Nothing happened. So I tried the Slide (forward) button, and the roof retracted (why?). Pushed the slide forward button again, and it started closing. It struggled in the middle of the opening, then suddenly sped up, and closed all the way! Thank you for posting this info! I am VERY unimpressed with Toyotas engineering on this truck: many small things are breaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holding down the tilt button (which is the same button to close the sunroof) for 15 seconds worked for me. I was blown away because the drivers side was not budging even after all the lubricating, tugging, and prying I was attempting. It seems to be working normally again. This is a huge relief. Many thanks to those who offered suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't own a 4Runner but experienced the same issue (open sunroof... clicking... won't close) with my '04 Highlander. I know it's not a real SUV but the sunroof components are probably quite similar (as a couple people pointed out with the Camry info.). My first reaction was to search online to learn what others encountered. After picking my jaw up off the floor, I thought I would open up the motor / gear box assembly to see what I was dealing with rather than fork over a pile of cash to anyone. In my case, it turned out to be a fairly simple and straightforward repair.

For the following, refer to these photos.

I removed two screws inside the overhead sunglasses holder (photo 1) and the trim ring around the interior sunroof opening. Reaching between the headliner and the roof at the front of the sunroof opening (just behind the map light & sunglasses holder), I pulled down a bit to pop the map light assembly loose & disconnected the electrical connector. On my Highlander, there was a metal bracket with a nut on one end to remove. Now the motor assembly held on by two bolts could be removed (photo 2).

There should be two flexible plastic rack gears running through the remaining half of the gear box. I could immediately see that one of the two rack gears was broken and thrashed with the reinforcing wire cables exposed in a knotted mess (photo 3 & 4). The broken rack attached to the passenger side of the sunroof.

With the pinion gear / motor housing removed, the sunroof was easy to move manually. My son pulled the damaged rack end down as I slid the sunroof forward. Admittedly, I was more interested in getting the sunroof closed for minimal expense than trying to achieve a complete repair. I cut off the damaged end (photo 6) so that the broken end could be reinserted through its slot in the gear box (photo 5). I had to move the sunroof back and then forward again to get the broken rack back into position (photo 5).

I could now move the sunroof all the way forward manually but not into the closed (sealed) position. I reassembled everything and engaged the motor to pull the sunroof into its typical closed position. Although the sunroof now works normally (tilts up, slides back and forward), I'm not going to push it. Of course, if I tried to slide it all the way back, it would run past the broken end of the passenger side rack and likely get stuck again. At any rate, I'm happy to have the sunroof closed and sealed without spending a dime. The whole project only took less than a couple hours.

I hope this information is helpful to someone. What I found on the net was helpful to me so I wanted to contribute my experience.
Exactly the same thing just happened. Followed the directions and had the roof closed in 20 minutes. No $$$$ invested.
Phillips screwdriver, 10mm socket and a little patience.

I will replace the tracks at a later date.
THANK YOU!!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts