Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...let me try it this way...........

Has anybody with a 2005-2006 Tundra changed your own transmission fluid?

How did you do it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Remove the drain plug on the bottom of course.
Then the fill plug and an overflow plug on the right side. You will have to have some type of hand pump to fill it but it's not a big deal. I do not remember how much fluid it takes but use the toyota ws fluid. And fill till it begins to come out of the overflow plug.

·
Registered
374 Posts
any idea how much toyota charges to do it? if its not a big deal then why do all make it out to be? just asking cause i do most of my own work

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
jaymz11, hey there apparently the 05-06 has to be warmed to a certain tempature, then completely flushed 14-16 quarts at about $10 a quart. My Toyota dealer charges $265 +/-. But they say it doesn't need to be done til 100K, guess when my extended Toyota warrenty runs out?!!!! Anyway good luck, CSM-H

any idea how much toyota charges to do it? if its not a big deal then why do all make it out to be? just asking cause i do most of my own work

·
Registered
374 Posts
jaymz11, hey there apparently the 05-06 has to be warmed to a certain tempature, then completely flushed 14-16 quarts at about $10 a quart. My Toyota dealer charges $265 +/-. But they say it doesn't need to be done til 100K, guess when my extended Toyota warrenty runs out?!!!! Anyway good luck, CSM-H
thanks. thats exactly what i was looking for.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had my dealer, who had a special, $160 to flush and fill. Worth every cent in my book for the aggravation from me trying to do it myself and having fluid all over the place.

I had mine changed about a month ago as I have 100,000 miles on the transmission/truck now.

I checked my fluid before it went in and it looked good but when I got it back, the fluid was super-clean.
It is worth letting them do it for sure.

The best part is that the transmission shifted and worked perfectly before I brought it and and afterwards, it works the same with it being just a bit smoother. As my Dad said, if your transmission works better after new fluid, you had a problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its near impossible to do properly without a flush machine like trans tech, plus filing the right amount, gotta be at a certain temperature..no thanks and Im a mechanic and ill let toyota do it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Its near impossible to do properly without a flush machine like trans tech, plus filing the right amount, gotta be at a certain temperature..no thanks and Im a mechanic and ill let toyota do it.
im with you on this one. there are just a certain few things that are worth having someone with the right gear and knowhow to do. im going to be down with this soon.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Getting underneath the truck or getting up in the air, unscrewing lines with the truck running, fluid here there and everywhere, checking this that and the other thing.

For those that can do it and know how and like it, I admire, but for me, to drive in, pay $159.95 and in about an hour drive out with brand new fluid through and through, not worrying about if we got it all out or all in and all that jazz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts