Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Double Cab that is presently all stock...

The tires on the truck now have been causing me steering problems and I am now looking to replace them. Anyone know what the largest size tire is that I could install without a lift kit? I am looking to go higher and lift the truck up a bit. If a lift kit is needed, perhaps what is a reasonable and reliable kind to go with? I don't really want to have to purchase new rims and am hoping to keep the ones I have already and just get a larger tire.

I am very interested in lifting the front of the truck up to level it but not totally sure if I should get a lift kit and do it, or just replace the shocks with Bilstiens that you can set the height on.

I am also looking into an aftermarket exhaust system. I am totally aware of driving a truck this size obviously means gas mileage and economy are at the bottom of the list of concerns, which is fine with me. Any of you guys out there have Flowmaster, Gibson, Vortec, etc that sound deep and rumble good? I am still on the fence as to wether or not I should put headers on the engine and replace the entire exhaust system or to just go ahead with a cat-back system. I am looking for something that rumbles and has a nice sound, something I can hear.

If any of you out there have any info or comments on similair modifications that you have done they would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I would first suggest that you take some time and search the form for tire and exhaust mods. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of very informative post by members that have done the things you are asking about. I would also go to youtube and search for tundra vids with different exhausts.

I personally did a tuff-country leveling lift. With out the canopy on, my truck was level and I was able to put 33" tires on. I also have done two different exhaust mods on my truck. I originally had a cat-back Flowmaster SIDO setup. Good upper end response, but lost most of my low end. Currently, I have a Magnaflow SISO 11266 muffler with a tailpipe similar to stock. This setup really works well for my needs, great response across the spectrum. This could also be thanks to adding DT headers. I wouldn't bother with the exhaust unless you plan on doing the headers too. This would give you the optimum results for modifying the exhaust system.

So, I would suggest you do a bunch of homework before you drop your hard earned $$$.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Exhaust sound is a personnal preference ,Ihave tried several on my 2000 and 2006 Tundra and my 72 chevy .
The best cat back IMO is the Banks ,but it is a bit pricey , I think the 14" Mag I have on the 06 sounds just as good .
Get the Flow 40's if you don't want to hear the radio had those on the Chevy ,great for annoying the neighbors .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts