Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so following this forum, and a few others, I have undertaken the task of installing Fog lights on my 2005 Highlander. I have the lights installed, the relay installed, the switch installed, but haven't the slightest which wires to tap into for the switch. I have found several posts, but their wiring pictures are completely different than my car.

My hope is someone out there can help this newbie figure out...

The first picture I am curious if the white dangling connector on the top of the fuse box is a 12v I could use for the switch light?

The second picture you can see that I have installed the relay (little black box next to the big black box).

Third picture, is my connector to my switch, obviously I know where each wire goes but I haven't the slightest where to find these wires.

Fourth, just in case you want to see them installed.

Fifth, I guess this is the connector I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
That fifth image is the connector that goes into your turn signal stalk. If you just short those two wires, your fogs will come on and off with your low beams, as though your switch was always turned on.

On mine I ran two wires from the dash, one to each of these and each side of the switch. This lets me turn them off, though I don't, I just drive around with them all the time. The switch I got also had four termials, one went to 12v and the other to ground for the light that comes on when the switch is on. I used a VOM/voltmeter/DMM/whatever to determine what was what. But, as I said you can just short those two wires on the stalk to verify everything up to this point is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a tie in on the fuse box rather than in the steering wheel? If so, where is that one. If not then how the heck do I get the bottom plastic cover off of the steering wheel shaft?

·
Registered
296 Posts
There probably is, but I couldn't find it. IIRC there were just three screws, and it clamshelled apart. I had it out for a remote starter as well. Your other option, instead of wiring it this way, is to buy the stalk with the fog switch on it and forget the dash button.

Sorry I'm not more help, it was a few years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I installed fog lights on my Highlander I used a remote control switch. I was going to hard wire them into the electrical system sometime later when I figured how I wanted to go through the fire wall, but it has been working so well as is I deceided to save myself the trouble. The kit was purchassed from an auto parts store which included the reciever, fuse, some wire and the remote. I purchassed the mating connectors for the for fog lights seperately. It was a clean installation and I hot wired them so I can turn them on as a car finder or just remote on-demand extra light. (NOTE: If they are hot wired you have to be sure to turn them off as they will not turn of with the ignition switch.) I put a "Fog Lights" label on the the receiver under the hood so Toyota techs won't spend so much time trying to figure out what the little black box is when I take my car in for service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts