Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently 4 hours into a trip back from Tallahassee, my stock JBL 6-Disc stereo (w/ 10 speakers) in my 2005 Toyota Sequioa had the audio go completely out. All the features on the HU still worked, CDs, AM, FM, tuning, etc, but absolutely no audio. I shut if off, and after about 45 minutes it would come back on and have audio for about 10 minutes. Is it possible this audio problem is related to an overheat problem with the AMP (86280-0C050). When I removed the tray in the console to check the amp, it was hot enough to cook an egg.

I'm tempted to replace just the amp with another one I can find on-line, but I did not want to chase a problem. Anyone experience or resolve a similair issue. My last resort is to break the bank and buy a whole new system (ugh).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sure sounds like its a bad amp going into thermal protect mode.
If you don't want to get involved in a complete new system, I would suggest just replacing the stock amp.
The biggest issue is that the stock amp is turned on via a digital signal from the head unit, and only has two channels of input.
It's such a proprietary system that it is really difficult to upgrade just one component and you're better off replacing the whole system, which is what I did with mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts