Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were on our summer trip the front passenger side door handle quit working.

I took off the door panel a couple of days ago and discovered that the cable that runs from the handle to the lock is broken. I have a new one on order and when it arrives I am planning to document the whole process in pictures... I'll update this topic when that's done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, I hope your thumb is OK. It was probably a straight-forward process once you got the panel off, wasn't it??

Jim

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I hope your thumb is OK. It was probably a straight-forward process once you got the panel off, wasn't it??

Jim
The thumb is healing, thanks... and once the panel was off it was a PITA disconnecting the connecting rod from the door handle. And once the exterior handle and lock cylinder connection are disengaged you have to remove an inner frame member to access the mechanism so the old cable can be removed and the new one inserted... luckily the frame member is bolted through the door skin and can just be shifted out of the way while you work on the lock.

All in all it was an interesting experience... but now that everything is back together and working it's very satisfying to know I did it myself and saved a bundle on labour costs in the process.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad you got it working -- saving a bundle is what DIYing is all about!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: 2005 Limited - inside door handle cable replacement

Not much interest in this topic so I'm not going to bother posting pictures. I finished the repair today... good to have everything back together.
Glad that everything is back to normal for you. I just recently had the same issue with my 2000 Toyota tundra. If you don't mind me asking how much was the price of the part? I am also having problems reaching the lever that the cord snapped from. I can't seem to get out of the door. Do you have any suggestion? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad that everything is back to normal for you. I just recently had the same issue with my 2000 Toyota tundra. If you don't mind me asking how much was the price of the part?
Hi Hp,

Here in Canada the part was $39 plus tax.

I am also having problems reaching the lever that the cord snapped from. I can't seem to get out of the door. Do you have any suggestion? I would really appreciate it.
By "lever", are you referring to the inside door handle or to the locking mechanism itself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
By "lever", are you referring to the inside door handle or to the locking mechanism itself?
I guess it would be the locking mechanism. Behind the door handle is an attached cable which is attached at the other end to a lever which releases the latch that is keeping the door closed. That part of the cable snapped, disconnecting itself from the lever. I can see it but the space is to small to fit my hand inside. So I removed all of the bolts that I could see but still am unable to remove housing unit of the lever so that I can fix it. My plan was to put the wires coming out of the cable back through the eye of the lever & then solder them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it would be the locking mechanism. Behind the door handle is an attached cable which is attached at the other end to a lever which releases the latch that is keeping the door closed. That part of the cable snapped, disconnecting itself from the lever. I can see it but the space is to small to fit my hand inside. So I removed all of the bolts that I could see but still am unable to remove housing unit of the lever so that I can fix it. My plan was to put the wires coming out of the cable back through the eye of the lever & then solder them.
Hi Hp,

Sounds like you're talking about the locking mechanism. I don't know if soldering is strong enough to hold, so it might be better to buy the cable. And to get the cable on, you have to get the lock mechanism loose from the door.

Let's start by having a look at the lock mechanism:

Door handle and lock mechanism (control link highlighted)

Notice the rod highlighted in orange. That's the control link to the outside door handle, and it must be disengaged. It's held in place by a yellow plastic clip and I could not find a way to disengage it without breaking it... so I broke it. The other control link (not shown in the above diagram) is for the lock cylinder, and it just unclips and pivots out of the way (!).

Once the control links are disengaged from the outer handle, the rear lower frame inside the door has to be unbolted:

Door - remove rear inner frame

Note that you don't have to remove the frame from the inside of the door... just push it out of the way.

Now it's time to unbolt the lock. There are four bolts:

Door - remove lock mechanism

Note that the three outside bolts are Torx... T25 if I remember correctly.

With the lock loose you can get at the cable. Once the new cable is reinstalled, reverse the steps to reinstall the lock. As for the broken clip, I came up with a zip-tie solution... so far, so good.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow this is great. Ok so since the soldering won't work, I will search for a new cable. I really appreciate the step by step illustration. I will come back with the outcome. Thanks JD & Beastlet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My pleasure. Here are a few more pictures that may help.

This is the yellow clip that I had to break - it attaches the outer door handle to the control link on the lock mechanism. If anyone knows how to disengage it without breaking it, please share your method.

Door hand control link with yellow clip

This is the orange clip that fastens the lock cylinder to its control link. It just swivels out of the way.

Lock cylinder control link with orange clip

This photo identifies the fasteners that secure the rear lower frame:

Rear lower frame fasteners identified

When removing the lock mechanism, don't forget the fourth bolt:

Inner lock mechanism bolt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts