Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this but there are no recent posts. What's the latest on the squeaky rear spring problem on the 2005 Tacomas. I had the TSB done at 15,000 miles -- new spacers. Now at 30,000 miles the springs are startng to squeak again. I'll admit that the underside of the truck is muddy as all get out, but so is the underside of my Dodge Ram and it doesn't doesn't squeak.

The sob story. I stopped at my dealer today to pick up some touch-up paint and because the service bay was empty I talked to the service writer and told him that my springs were squeaking again and the I'll like to have it fixed in one trip to the dealer not two. I didn't want to bring it in and then have to bring it in again because they needed to order parts. I told him that I had had the new spacers installed 15,000 miles ago and that is what was probably needed again. He said that they did not stock the spacers.I asked that he order some to have on hand when I brought the truck in. He said that that wasn't the way that they handled problems like this. They could not order TSB parts until they were sure they needed them. The writer called in the service manager who admitted that there was a spring problem with some of the Tacomas but they needed a thorough diagnosis before ordering parts. I told him that I lived thirty miles from his dealership and that I did not want to make two or three trips to get this rather simple problem resolved.

Now this is where it gets interesting. He said that if I called ahead and agreed to leave the truck for as long as needed that he would provide me with a car while my truck was in the dealership. Sounds fair but sort of stupid. It would make more sense to me to have the right parts on hand. Besides that I am not all that fond of leaving the truck at the dealership for an extended period of time. But if that's what it takes, so be it. Maybe I'll get a 5.7 Tundra as a loner. :D They have been trying to sell me one to replace my 2007 Ram.

I've cleaned of the underside of the Tacoma with a pressure washer. Now I'll try to find the exact location of the problem. I'm quite sure that it will be either the springs or the shocks

OK-- So what is the final word on the squeaky springs from someone who has had the correct fix -- new spacers or new springs?

Thanks,

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too am interested in this. Haven't been to the dealer yet, because I don't see the spacer pads as a fix and it isn't worth my time. Plan on swapping them out soon anyway, but that squeak gets VERY annoying. Every single time I get out of or into the truck...:mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My springs started squeaking around 10-11k miles. I just took it to a new dealer who performed the squeak TSB and gave it back to me. When I picked it up, it squeaked going out of the driveway. I turned around and went back, took them for a ride, and they said, "well, at least it's a little better, right?" The loud banging noises were reduced yes, but the squeak, same as ever. So they kept it the rest of the day yesterday and still have it today, but seemed to have no idea what to do...Anybody have a solution that has worked?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the only permanent solution is to replace the springs with something decent. I can't afford that at the moment, so mine's in the shop for new pads. I finally broke down and took it in because I can't stand to drive through a parking garage now, it's so loud. Dealer is giving me the runaround because I lifted the front end. I'm at a loss as to how a 2.5" front lift will affect the rear leafs, but they are "looking at it again" so we'll see. I had to point them to the TSB because they were threatening to make me pay for the rental car they gave me. "As far as I can tell, there's nothing broken, it just squeaks... so there's nothing we can do under warranty" By the way, I'm at 23k miles and it's been doing it since 5k. Grrr.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys. Just had this problem on my F150 after doing an add a leaf. I simply looked up a local spring shop and went down to them. He just gave me a bunch of the teflon pads that go between the leafs. You might have to buy yours but they will be cheap. If you jack up the rear and hammer a screw driver in between the leafs you can slide a pad right in and your done. Much better than going to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I think the only permanent solution is to replace the springs with something decent. I can't afford that at the moment, so mine's in the shop for new pads. I finally broke down and took it in because I can't stand to drive through a parking garage now, it's so loud. Dealer is giving me the runaround because I lifted the front end. I'm at a loss as to how a 2.5" front lift will affect the rear leafs, but they are "looking at it again" so we'll see. I had to point them to the TSB because they were threatening to make me pay for the rental car they gave me. "As far as I can tell, there's nothing broken, it just squeaks... so there's nothing we can do under warranty" By the way, I'm at 23k miles and it's been doing it since 5k. Grrr.
Are you sure it's the leaf springs? Mine (although 2006) had a similar noise and it turned out to be the spare tire holder plates. It sounded like a chain being dragged under the truck almost constantly. They put some tape on the plates and the noise is gone.

I get the feeling that toyota service centers love to hand out loaner cars only to pressure the warranty related problem owners. They will say things like..."we can't look at your vehicle any longer because we need to get that loaner back." I said NO to the loaner this time and my 2006 Tacoma is going on 2 weeks (and will probably be in for 3 or 4) to deal with the extensive list of problems. I'm still under 5k miles and have seven major problems they are looking at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive have the same problem with my truck, even had a similar problem on my old 03 taco. oddly enough the squeaking started after the first time i went 4x4in. i noticed when i hooked the pressure washer and hit the leaf springs really good (hands and knees up under the truck hitting every angle) the sound wasn't as bad, but still there. its not a fix, but at least it wont sound like a rush bucket

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had my Tacoma's springs replaced under warranty. The new spring set that was installed has oblong holes front and back to hold the nylon spacers. This appears to be the current "fix" from Toyota. My dealership has done several.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am bringing my 2006 trd tacoma into the dealership on tuesday 7/31. I am getting the squeaking rear leaf springs looked at and also the clunking in the rear suspension when I have a load in the back and am driving on bumpy roads.

My truck sits in the garage during the week, but sees a lot of miles on dirt roads over the weekends. Power washing the truck after every weekend is just not the best option for me.

I hope they can fix it, otherwise I may have to find some aftermarket springs.

Chris

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the change-up to the 'new' springs done a few months ago. There is an extra leaf, which stiffens the back up quite a bit. It's the same spring pack as the 2007's. But, it is also squeaking now, like an old matress when you jump up and down on it.

If you pressure wash the leaf pack, it does go away, so obviously it is aggravated by dirt and dust. I've tried WD-40 and teflon based lubricants... nothing lasts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
took my truck in today about the squeaking issue, said it was defiantly the leaf springs, and they said its been a somewhat common problem, they did have a fix. Ordered some parts for the springs, (something about some teflon pads and replacement parts) ill post again when its said in done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts