Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Tundra (2 wheel drive) with 93000 miles. The truck has been very good mechanically since day 1. Over the past several weeks I have noticed I am getting a loud roar while driving. Road surface does not affect it and in the mean time I replace my tires and still the same sound. I can hear it developing at around 20mph and is very pronounced at 50mph and beyond. Today I jacked it and removed the 4 nuts and the back plate to check the bearings. They seem to have play and sounded a a little "course" as I was turning them. I suspect they need replacing. I called the dealer and they want 360.99 each side. Is this something I can do myself or do you need a press to accomplish this? I am pretty proficient working on the truck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You need a press, and since those axles are a real pain to work on not to many places want to touch them. Before I had a press I called no less than 10 machine shops and only one could do it and said it was a paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You need a press, and since those axles are a real pain to work on not to many places want to touch them. Before I had a press I called no less than 10 machine shops and only one could do it and said it was a paint.
are 4X4 have the same pain to work on axles?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
4X4s are the same. The bearing, 2 retainers, and ABS wheel are all pressed on the axle. Also the inner axle seal rides on the ABS retainer so you have to be careful not to press the new retainer on too far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts