Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Sequoia - Front brake pads and rotors replaced

Recently replaced the pads and rotors on my 2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4 with stock Toyota replacements. It was pretty straightforward... here are some pics.

1. The view with the driver's side wheel removed.

2. Pull the clips from the pins.

3. Tap out the pins and remove the anti-rattle spring. Pins, clips and spring can be reused if in good shape.

4. Using the old pads, compress the pistons with C-clamps. Keep the old pads... you may have to repeat this step before inserting the new ones. And keep an eye on the brake fluid reservoir to make sure it doesn't overflow.

5. Note the brake line support bracket on the upper control arm.

6. Remove the bolt that secures the brake line support bracket*.

7. Unbolt the caliper from the truck. Note that the black arrows identify the mounting bolts and the red arrows identify the assembly bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together. Do not remove the latter!

8. Support the caliper and remove the rotor (even after 135,000 km mine came right off). The procedure in the Toyota manual involves disconnecting the brake lines, but I didn't find it was necessary.

9. Use some brake cleaner to remove the preservative from the new rotors.

10. Hold the new rotor in place with a couple of lug nuts while bolting the caliper back on. Caliper mounting bolt specs: 90 ft-lbs.

11. Invert one pad on a stable surface (or your leg). Note the wear spring on the lower left of the pad... this one goes on the outside of the caliper.

12. Put some disc brake quiet on the inner surface of the inner shim...

13. ... and the outer surface.

14. Add the outer shim.

15. Insert the pad... remember step 4 if it doesn't quite fit. And the top and bottom tolerances are close... it may require a bit of wiggling.

16. Repeat steps 11-15 for the inner pad.

17. Clean the pins and add some brake lube.

18. Install the pins and their clips and the anti-rattle spring. Note that the upper pin passes through the spring.

19. Gently pump the brake pedal in the top few centimetres of its stroke until the pads come into contact with the rotors.

20. Repeat steps 2 to 19 for the other side.

21. FYI, the caliper casting on mine is 13WL

*The passenger side brake line support bolt could have used some penetrating oil. #%&*$!

If this does happen to you, zip ties are handly for holding it in place temporarily.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
I'd love to add this to a DIY sticky thread. Can you please upload the pictures directly to the post? That way the images won't get lost when flickr clears its cache. If you need help inserting the images, check out the sticky threads in the Questions & Comments section.

Great write-up :tu:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! I sure am glad I don't have to deal with all that snow, ice, and salt though. That rust is rough!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you.

I just used this to do the pads on the front of my '05 DC. Although I could not for the life of me get the bolts out of the calipers to remove them from the rotors. I took a look at my rotors and although they should be turned, I said the hell with it and just replaced the pads. Had I been able to get the bolts out I would have gotten them turned. Oh well.

Nice write up, easy to follow, and pictures were very helpful.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That looks just like my 03 Tundra. Am I correct in that I don't have to remove the caliper if I am just changing the pads?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did not have to remove the calipers. The pads slide out from the top once you remove the two pins, the spring and compress the pistons.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One comment I might add about getting the rotor off.

I had to pull my rotor to replace a wheel stud, and found this post very helpful.

My rotor didn't just pull off. I tapped at it with a nylon hammer from the lug side to loosen the rust but it still didn't pull off. With the caliper off I was able to tap (lightly) on the back side as I rotated the rotor and within one rotation it popped off easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts