Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, The passenger side parking brake on my 2005 Sequoia is making a rattling/clanking noise when driving at speed. I suspect some of the internal pieces have corroded/rusted because the car has been sitting for weeks while in quarantine and are floating around inside. Disc brakes function so I can drive. Until I get a chance to replace the parking brake, is it possible to simply remove all the guts of the passenger parking brake (remove shoes, clips, springs, etc) and essentially deactivate it? Will the driver side parking brake still engage even if the passenger side cable is slack? I need to be able to drive before I have time to fully repair. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Brakes are really one of those thing you just don't mess with if they aren't right or you don't know how to fix them correctly, they are kind of important. With the typical arrangement you would loose at least some effectiveness to your other e-brake. I don't think anyone is going to say you should do it if that is what you are looking for. I suppose it would be better to drive with no e-brake than the hardware somehow messing up and disabling/damaging your actual brake though. Something will always stop you though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes are really one of those thing you just don't mess with if they aren't right or you don't know how to fix them correctly, they are kind of important. With the typical arrangement you would loose at least some effectiveness to your other e-brake. I don't think anyone is going to say you should do it if that is what you are looking for. I suppose it would be better to drive with no e-brake than the hardware somehow messing up and disabling/damaging your actual brake though. Something will always stop you though...
Thanks for your note and I agree with all of your points. My concern was that whatever is rattling around inside the parking brake assembly could potentially cause damage to the other components (hub assembly, rotor, caliper etc) so I was thinking in an immediate/emergency scenario I could remove the parking brake parts and drive this way temporarily until I can get my hands on a rebuild kit and do the work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My parking brakes are gutted. The passenger side was making noise so I opened it up and found a bunch of pieces rattling around. Popped the driver's side off and found ...... nothing!! All gone. Slapped it back together with nothing in there to get it on the road.
You'll need to tie the cable with the stop on the end up and out of the way of the rotating disc. Otherwise it will drag, make noise, and eventually wear down the cable stop rendering it unusable in the future.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My parking brake is currently inoperable. I spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to get it put back together. Eventually, I just gave up because it was at the end of a long project and I was ready to move on. That was about 2 years ago. It hasn't been a problem and doesn't affect the normal brakes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a similar problem, one of the retaining clips/pan thingy with the sprink and the pin the held it came apart and it was scraping while driving. I took it out and have been meaning to put a new kit back in for... 6 months now? Doesn't affect normal driving.

I definitely do NOT recommend doing this because you might do what all of us have done and just never actually fix it but it's your car and your responsibility so stay safe. They are a PITA to fix on the sequoias. If you do take everything out always think about parking AKA don't park on hills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar problem, one of the retaining clips/pan thingy with the sprink and the pin the held it came apart and it was scraping while driving. I took it out and have been meaning to put a new kit back in for... 6 months now? Doesn't affect normal driving.

I definitely do NOT recommend doing this because you might do what all of us have done and just never actually fix it but it's your car and your responsibility so stay safe. They are a PITA to fix on the sequoias. If you do take everything out always think about parking AKA don't park on hills.
Thanks for everyones notes, Im curious for those of you who have removed one (see above) I assume the remaining parking brake will still work/engage? Given the cable from the pedal simply splits at the rear and goes to each wheel, I assume the remaining park (driver side in my case) would still be active when engaged. In other words, I would think one active parking brake would still be enough to help hold the car if parked on a hill etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts