Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello...I have a 2005 2 wheel drive sequoia with 160,000 miles on it. I am getting a roaring noise that sounds like it is coming from the front end, but not sure based on the following. I had it in a shop and they heard the same noise and checked the tires and they are all ok, so they replaced the 2 front wheel bearings and the noise is still there. They looked at it again and had it up on the rack and could not isolate the noise but heard noise at the tail of the transmission, at the rear differential, and at the drivers side rear tire and at that point they were at a loss for what to do. they didn't think it was the universal joints, maybe something in the transmission or rear differential, but they were not sure. the noise itself shows up between 45 and 55 mph and continues when I shift into neutral as well as if I take it out of overdrive. the noise also gets louder when i slow down without braking and it also continues if I shift into neutral or in and out of overdrive while coasting to a stop. any suggestions before I take it to the dealer??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Trident39....can I ask why you suggest the timing belt and fan? reason for asking is the shop did not think of that and I as well would not have thought to look there?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I would look at those drive line joints harder. Driveshaft could be out of balance as well, but if it only happens from 45-55 MPH then I would suspect something like a u-joint, cv joint, rear diff, bearing etc. Not the transmission and certainly not a timing belt or fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not sure if I fully follow the situation with going on and off the neautral and OD. But I had similar problem on my sequoia. There might be several different reasons. Had checked it by independent shop and they couldn't point anything specific. My noise - almost vibration was between 63-70 mph. And it sounded like it comes from rear diff. After I brought to Toyota dealership they said the tires are shot. Tires didn't look bad, still some meat left, only 5 years old, but were "cupped". I know you said they checked your tires but mine looked good too. Rotation didn't really changed much but noise got reduced if I did reduce the psi's. I guess you can give it a shot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just had the same thing. Was the carrier bearing and driveline. Rebuilt that and all is good.
Mine also did it on deceleration under braking and I was sure it was the brakes...
PS: same year 4 door Tundra 153,000 miles

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the EXACT same symptoms on an '05 Sequoia and replaced both front wheel bearings in an effort to eliminate it. Could hear it any time I was driving at any reasonable speed. Finally the shop supervisor at the dealer said "Oh, yeah, there's a TSB for that. It's one of the rear bearings". Bingo. I used to have the TSB, but can't find it. It said that customers complain of a "roaring" noise coming from the front of the vehicle while they drive. From what I remember, the replacement bearings have an updated design that prevents the same problem.

Could be something else, but that's what it was for me.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Check your tires for cupping. How? Run your flat hand over the tread backwards. If it feels SHARP or ROUGH feeling then the tires are cupped. Next, look across the top of the tread and see if it looks even, if the center of the tread is higher then BOTH edges then your tires are cupped. Your tread should feel relatively smooth when you run your hand over the tires, but remember to go backwards (front to rear) NOT forwards. Will this make the noise you're talking about? You betcha!! What causes this? STRUTS!!! If you have never changed these struts then its time my friend. You can buy the whole strut and coil spring as one unit. They are relatively easy to replace yourself if handy with tools. Check out places like rock auto if you aren't in a hurry, you'll get a better deal there for sure. Once you change these out, you'll need to do a front end alignment to correct the camber. It will also raise your vehicle back up (noticeable) to where it should be. Cupped tires can make the noise you are describing. Change the rear also if you want to make it right. Afterwards, you can keep the tires if they are in good shape and driving with the new struts will eventually correct the tread wear over a short period of time. The noise should reduce itself fairly quickly once you install. Believe me when I tell you this.... cupped tires can fool you with the noises they can produce. I wish you the best!! Let us know what you find. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up taking it to the Toyota dealer and was fortunate to get a good old timer with 30+ years Toyota experience. He quickly diagnosed it and was correct....it was the rear universal joint and I had him replace the front one while he had it out.....Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts