Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, new here. Bet there's already a ton of guys asking this same question, but......anyways. Here it goes.

I just bought a USED 2005 TRD OFF-ROAD 4.0 liter Double Cab. Everything is stock, except the Yokohama off road tires. It's got about 45k miles on it.

Now here's the question: I get about 16.5mpg with half/half city and highway driven miles, I drive like a granny, no heavy foot here. Is that NORMAL MPG im getting? if not, what can i do to improve it?

again, im new to the whole truck scene, so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
hi, i am sure you will get more replies than me .

remember a truck has different gears than a car and the aero package of a barn door.

the engine is a torque engine and best economy is in the 2k rpm range
and our calif gas has a lot of alcohol so that doesn't help either

some try bumping to neutral when slowing down and coast, but
when moving and letting off the gas the engine will turn OFF injecting gas so that way is better

i am a retired guy with just the basic 4 banger street tacoma and have a scanguage2 and it is interesting to see instant gas millage go to 99999 mpg
when coming up to a stop sign ;-D
one thought.... when were the spark plugs replaced? think it is 30K schedule, along with the usual air filter and stuff

with my street tacoma (4 banger 15 in rims 2 wheel drive auto tranny
scanguage i can get about 24 mpg city and a lot better on freeway but mostly just drive city

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Welcome to TS!

That's not bad for half city/half highway. I can get around 18 mpg with mostly highway driving, but less in town. Aside from plugs & filters, make sure your tires are properly inflated. If you have LT tires instead of the OEM-spec P-metrics, that can hurt mileage a bit. Gearbox oils should have been changed by now; if you're not sure, get some fresh synthetic 75W-90 in there -- differential oils can get nasty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
* Spark Plugs at 36K
* Air Filter every 8-9K
* Grease your drive lines (the manual calls them propeller shafts) every oil change.
* Change tranny fluid at 40K
* Change Diff fluid at 40K

(You can probably do all these things yourself if you have the right wrench, I'd recommend NOT messing with the plugs though-pay a couple bucks for someone to do it if you're not sure. The fluids, all done in minutes in the garage)

That engine gets sh*t done, it's not going to get much better gas mileage unless you air up the tires & accept the crappy ride.

·
Registered
663 Posts
thanks alot guys. ill definitely look into those ^^

isnt the tranny fluid a sealed unit?
Yes. You cannot just do a drain and fill. There's some DIY write-ups if you want to take it on yourself, but otherwise your owner's manual (or maintenance schedule more accurately) says to do it around 120K miles. However, the maintenance schedule for trucks in Canada state to change it every 60K miles and Toyota sent out a letter to a lot of people here in the US (at least with 2010's) that it should be changed at 60K miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts