Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

6K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  MCE1 
#1 ·
When is Toyota going to show us the 4x4 Tacoma and the base model , I,m gettin agravated.

#2 ·
A picture at the hyperlink from the Detroit News, I presume is a 2005 Tacoma Extracab 4X4.

2005 Toyota Tacoma

Toyota's Tacoma to grow in size

Toyota Motor Corp. is redesigning its Tacoma pickup this fall and bumping it up a notch -- from compact to midsize. The company will offer the 2005 model in a variety of body and bed configurations, as well as two- and four-wheel drive.

The new Tacoma will be longer, wider and taller than its predecessor, with more passenger space and greater cargo and towing capacity. Among the options will be electronic stability control and side-curtain air bags.

One of the key elements of the redesigned truck is a new twin-cam 4.0-liter V-6 engine that delivers 240 horsepower and 275 pounds-feet of torque and is mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Toyota dealers also plan to offer a factory-installed supercharger for more performance.
-- Paul Lienertd

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm

#5 ·
fineride said:
A picture at the hyperlink from the Detroit News, I presume is a 2005 Tacoma Extracab 4X4.

2005 Toyota Tacoma

Toyota's Tacoma to grow in size

Toyota Motor Corp. is redesigning its Tacoma pickup this fall and bumping it up a notch -- from compact to midsize. The company will offer the 2005 model in a variety of body and bed configurations, as well as two- and four-wheel drive.

The new Tacoma will be longer, wider and taller than its predecessor, with more passenger space and greater cargo and towing capacity. Among the options will be electronic stability control and side-curtain air bags.

One of the key elements of the redesigned truck is a new twin-cam 4.0-liter V-6 engine that delivers 240 horsepower and 275 pounds-feet of torque and is mated to a six-speed manual transmission. Toyota dealers also plan to offer a factory-installed supercharger for more performance.
-- Paul Lienertd

http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm
That rear access cab area looks like Tundra sheetmetal.

#7 ·
I highly doubt they will still have a compact truck..

EcHo said:
Are they still going to have a compact truck since it is getting bumped up from compact to midsize?
The better question would be are they still going to have a Tundra Access Cab when the Midsize Tacoma debuts? Is it just me or does anyone else see this truck as a 7/8 version of the Tundra? The price for the new Taco will surely be more than it is now which would put it smack dab in Tundra territory. Also, I don't see any V8 version of the Tacoma for the near future as this would only reinforce my earlier point. As much as I like the looks bigger dimentions of the new Tacoma I just don't get it. The Tundra is considered by some as a Midsize or at least not true fullsize. Isn't this what the new Tacoma will be marketed as? My prediction is that this new Tacoma moves into the slot that the current Access Cab Tundra now fills. The Double Cab Tundra will be their sole offering for a half ton Truck and last will be the upcomming 3/4 Ton Tundra. When you examine Toyotas products and pricing strategy you'll see how this is true in their car, suv line. Not much overlapping at all. One other senareo is that all products stay the same but the prices are massaged so that there is no overlapping. Toyota does this every so often so it won't be a first. In fact when the Tundra was released they had to reduce the price of the Tacoma by $2000. to insure differentiation between the two. It would be nice for them to keep all the versions of the Tacoma and Tundra, give us a broad choice like Ford&GM but I feel it's very unlikely.

#8 ·
When I bought my 91 PU 4X4 it was 12,500 dollars, Deluxe model. Yeah, I know it would cost more today but certainly not 25,000 dollars. If the Tacoma is now midsize and the Tundra is a full size what happened to the mini-truck?? They were very popular and cheap reliable transportation for students and whoever did not need a giant truck. They where fun too. Now that all the trucks are gigantic machines maybe someday Toyota will reintroduce a new mini-truck.

#9 ·
Great. Another all plastic cheap-ass, aftermarket looking front end to match the Tundra...If I wanted this kind of kid stuff, I'd get a Nissan.

Sorry, but the current Tacoma, and all the new model domestics are the best looking trucks on the road. The new front end of the Tundra is a failure.

#10 ·
PS1 said:
Great. Another all plastic cheap-ass, aftermarket looking front end to match the Tundra...If I wanted this kind of kid stuff, I'd get a Nissan.

Sorry, but the current Tacoma, and all the new model domestics are the best looking trucks on the road. The new front end of the Tundra is a failure.
To each his own I guess. I think the current Taco front end is the missing link on the whole truck....the main reason why I did not buy one. I was waiting for the redesign in 03! (two years later Im still waiting)

I think the front end of the new tacoma is way better looking...it looks like it was engineered and not an after thought. Now the back end?........hmmmm

Although I think the new Taco interior is not as appealing as the old one. If it has that 4.7 I think I can live with its shortcomings...if not I guess I will shoot for 300,000 miles!

#12 ·
One of the things you guy are forgetting are the trends in truck buyers now a days. True 1/4 tons (read any Toyota pick up/Tacoma til 2004, Ford Ranger, Mazda B series, Nissan Frontier, etc.) are becoming more of a true niche market.

Trends, from what I've read, show that true 1/4 ton sales are going down, and half ton/full size truck sales are going up, in the past 10 years. It's this big thing called "utility." A few years ago I thought a Tacoma would be perfect for me. But as I get older and I see the possibilities and all the things I want to do OR I MAY do, I am becoming more and more in favour of looking at a full size and will buy full size when I can afford it. I want a truck that allows me plenty of power so I can tow whatever I want, within reason, or haul whatever I want. Reasonable/relevant payload capacity and size of box to put whatever I think I need in the bed or truck, seating capacity so I can fit my friends or family all in the truck in a non cramped style. I think it all ties into 2 primitive instincts - the fact that men want to be providers - and having a truck that can do everything is in a sense a providing type of aspct, as well as the whole "soccer mom" type of aspect where with increases in truck sales, they are becoming more family oriented vehicles now because more people are buying them. Yeah, we may not need all this payload capacity or engine power or 4x4 or seating room/capacity, or whatever, but do you want to be caught short handed? Do you want to be the guy who can't take something or someone along because your vehicle can't do it?

Also, I know this sounds funny, but truthfully Americans/Canadians are getting fatter. We have the "fattest" people in all of the world. For example look at baseball stadiums. Ever notice that old baseball stadiums usually have really narrow seats, where as new ones have wider seats? It's to accmodate our big fat asses ladies and gentleman. Subsequently bigger vehicles are coming out me thinks.

I realize guys have a hard-on for the Tacoma and SR5 pick ups of yesteryear, but will you not be able to do more, with a slightly larger pick truck?

What exactly is your reasoning for not wanting more capacity, more power, more room, a slightly larger Tacoma truck? I hear ya dissapproving, but WHY?

#13 ·
"What exactly is your reasoning for not wanting more capacity, more power, more room, a slightly larger Tacoma truck? I hear ya dissapproving, but WHY?"

1. The smaller trucks are much more manuverable in traffic, in the urban areas and in the woods.
2. They have better off road capability.
3. They take up less room in my huge 3 car garage that somehow seems terribly crowded since I put my Tundra in there.
4. FUEL ECONOMY---FUEL ECONOMY--can you say 3 bucks a gallon gasoline, well, it's coming!
5. The mini trucks have always been tougher, tighter and longer lasting than the Tundra, I have both so don't tell me different
6. Utility? well, when is big, big enough? Many, if not most people really do not need 6,000 lb, 350 horsepower, 12 MPG, 10,000 lb tow capacity trucks. Most can in fact do very nicely with a mini or a midsize but due to current and recent low gas prices and the "macho" factor inherient in the xy chromozome combination, BIG is in and is the thing--for now. I suspect some wilting of the ego will occur first time some folks tank up with 3 dollar gas--even if you can afford it -- and I can.

#16 ·
tiger said:
When we test drive the 05 taco, that will be a big factor w/ me. plus the size factor IF I can come out ahead. If not then the tundra is fine w/ me . I would like the DC room in the back, just not the tundra DC size, so we shall see!!
Biggest thing with me would be the same back seat space as the Tundra DC but a shorter bed. I have a trailer so I have hauling covered and just need a small bed for the routine Home Depot trips.....

BUT IT MUST FIT IN THE GARAGE! Something I cannot say for the current Tundra DC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.