Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.7L with a valve lifter tick since last year. The truck is currently at 122K. I know what the problem is but don’t know what parts I need. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Be sure to rule out the exhaust manifolds before you do anything hasty. These vehicles are noted for leaking exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be sure to rule out the exhaust manifolds before you do anything hasty. These vehicles are noted for leaking exhaust manifolds.

I had a mechanic take a look and he lubed up the valve lifters. He said the ticking was coming from the first cylinder. The ticking got lower but after a few days it started up again. It ticks hard when the truck is cold but once warm the noise is faint. While accelerating you can hear the ticking. This has been going on since August 2019.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What does you engine oil look like? Is it full and are you sure you are using the correct weight oil? If you are positive it is not the manifold or an oil problem it is time to have a good mechanic or machine shop inspect the valve clearances and cam lobes and adjust the shims if they are out of spec. You inspect the valve clearances before removing the cams to adjust the shims and this is done with the cylinder heads still on the engine. At that point it is almost worth taking it a step further by inspecting the clearances and then remove the cylinder heads to have them overhauled. It is a bit more machine shop work and adds headgaskets to the cost but the head can be fully disassembled and checked and then reasembled with any adjustment shims needed. That way you can make sure all your valves, guides, seats, shims all get properly cleaned, inspected, replaced or adjusted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra 4.7L with a valve lifter tick since last year. The truck is currently at 122K. I know what the problem is but don’t know what parts I need. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thanks in advance!
At this point I figured it would be much better to rebuild the engine. Does anyone know of any good sites where I can find an OEM rebuild kit or aftermarket?

·
Registered
48 Posts
An exhaust manifold leak will broadcast the normal valve noises. This was an issue with the Ford Model A engines. On those many times it was just a matter of tightening a few bolts. Jumping from a "tick" to an engine rebuild seems a bit extreme to me. 122,000 is not a lot of miles on that 4.7 engine. I would systematically, as advised above, track down the root of the problem. Might just be a manifold gasket, or even that some head work needs to be done. When you start pulling and totally rebuilding an engine without ascertaining the cause of the "ticking" you are opening up an expensive can of worms.
What if you do a total rebuild, re-install the engine only to find that an exhaust manifold had a warped surface and did not seal properly and it still "ticked"...?
My advice, slow your roll, diagnose the root of the noise and go from there. That's from an old guy that has wasted lots of time and money over the years chasing an elephant when the culprit was just a mouse... Chap

·
Registered
83 Posts
Put a rubber hose to your ear and the other end down were the exhaust manifold gasket is and you tell me what you here. If you had a valve problem it would get louder as the oil heats up and thins out. Exhaust manifold leak will go away or calm down as the engine heats up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts