Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New poster with questions about the 2005 Tundra 4.7 Doublecab 4x4. My manual says a tranny "drain and fill" is basically 3 qts. This forums' DIY and the dealers say they need 16 qts to do a "flush and fill". If a "drain" only drops 3 qts how much more is really in there, where does it go (torque converter?) and why would you ever need essentially 13 MORE qts to flush it? I can see a few more quarts if you are flushing but 13 extra, 16 total??
Sort of a follow on but if you just do the drain and fill I would assume the fresh fluid would mix with any old stuff left in the tranny and if you kept doing that say every 6 months wouldn't you always have pretty darn good fluid in there really?
Almost forgot, dealer uses ATFWS standard tundra fill. What is that? I want to go with Mobil 1 synthetic which M1 says is compatible with virtually everything but I'd really like to get the old all out without doing my own flush if possible or paying the dealer $300+ for a synthetic flush and fill.

New in CT, thanks all.
Dennis

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, as far as i know & remember, let the dealership do it.
pay the money.
i heard of some who did there rear ends, & tranny's, & ruined them.
so if i were you, & will be , just let the dealership do it.
it will be alot cheaper than needing a tranny.
just my .02 cent's.
somethings ,are better off to be left to be done at the stealership.
gorilla

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
Hi all. New poster with questions about the 2005 Tundra 4.7 Doublecab 4x4. My manual says a tranny "drain and fill" is basically 3 qts. This forums' DIY and the dealers say they need 16 qts to do a "flush and fill". If a "drain" only drops 3 qts how much more is really in there, where does it go (torque converter?) and why would you ever need essentially 13 MORE qts to flush it? I can see a few more quarts if you are flushing but 13 extra, 16 total??
The entire transmission system (pump, TQ, lines, cooler, pan, etc.) holds approximately 12-13 quarts.

Sort of a follow on but if you just do the drain and fill I would assume the fresh fluid would mix with any old stuff left in the tranny and if you kept doing that say every 6 months wouldn't you always have pretty darn good fluid in there really?
That's essentially my strategy. A 4.3qt drain/refill every 1-2 weeks for a month or so should give you a fairly high percentage of fresh ATF. :)

The issue with your tranny is that it is a "sealed" system in that there is no fluid dipstick. The method to do drain/refills requires removal of fill plugs and a particular fluid operating temperature for accurate volume measurements. Make sure you do a thorough search on this forum for the proper procedure if you choose to do this yourself.

Almost forgot, dealer uses ATFWS standard tundra fill. What is that? I want to go with Mobil 1 synthetic which M1 says is compatible with virtually everything but I'd really like to get the old all out without doing my own flush if possible or paying the dealer $300+ for a synthetic flush and fill.
The Toyota WS ("World Standard") ATF, required on the '05-on Tundras, as far as I know doesn't have an aftermarket alternative. I have heard that the Mobil-1 Syn ATF is not compatible. Other members might have updated info on this.

New in CT, thanks all.
Dennis
Welcome Dennis! TS is a great resource. You'll learn a lot. :tu:

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
The transmission fluid used in our Tundra is a low viscosity synthetic. The only other option I've seen that is a direct replacement is the Amsoil ATL. The drain interval is the same as the Toyota WS, about 100k miles. I'm not sure what M1 sells as a compatible lube for our Tundra. I'm sure it's just as good as Amsoil though.

Doing a drain/fill is just switching out the lube from the pan, and you can typically get 3qts removed, maybe 20% or less transfer. Doing a complete flush/fill is actually forcing the old lube out and then refilling at the same time. You get about a 95% transfer doing this flush method, as you probably saw the DIY by moderator 2XOverhead.

If you're going to to it, might as well do the one for the long haul and not have to bother with it for another 100,000 miles.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
hi, as far as i know & remember, let the dealership do it.
pay the money.
i heard of some who did there rear ends, & tranny's, & ruined them.
so if i were you, & will be , just let the dealership do it.
it will be alot cheaper than needing a tranny.
just my .02 cent's.
somethings ,are better off to be left to be done at the stealership.
gorilla
Good point Gorilla. :tu:

If you don't know what you're doing and you don't have the proper tools, by all means, let someone else Do It For You!

I'm a DIY guy though.:proud3d: Get it done the way you want it and get it done right.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you all for the replies. I am debating which way to go, me vs dealer and drain again vs flush this time.
Dealer did a drain and fill vs flush and fill 3k ago at 70k because I asked for a transmission service or whatever and did not understand or get clarification. My bad.
Interestingly enough, when I called that dealer back today to clarify now that I know more, he said the Toyota WS flush and fill was around $200, synthetic was actually $350. The next dealer I called said WS flush and fill was $189 and they had no synthetic or other option. I asked what Toyota WS was - synthetic or not, and that dealer did not know.
I am squarely on the fence. Will probably go to the dealer for a full flush and fill seeing the '05 doesn't even have a dipstick at this point. I like doing my own stuff but with 4 cars and a bike some things are more a pita than they are worth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
$189 sounds about right for a fluid replacement when I asked my dealer (thinking of having it done early since I tow some). Considering the fluid isn't cheap, the labor cost isn't all that bad.

As long as the tech knows to use the WS fluid, it doesn't matter if he knows it's synthetic or not.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked the second dealer about the nature of the fluid they quoted because the first dealer said they could do regular or synthetic. The response of "don't know what it is but we only use WS" did not surprise me from a lack of knowledge perspective, we see that all the time. This is just another example of opening the door to a fluid poll and you get a hundred different opinions on the best lube in any forum.
I don't really believe the Toyota fluid is the only or best tranny fluid but just because I suspect that other lubes, like Mobil 1, are as good, or better, doesn't make it so in this particular vehicles tranny.
I have a call into Mobil and asked them specifically if they guarantee Mobil 1 ATF, synthetic, in an '05 Tundra 4.7 4x4. I will consider what they say and pass it on.
I would value the opinion of people here who have run Moibil 1 for a long time too.
If I get a lot of affirmatives here and M1 says do it, I will inquire what the first dealer I talked to first uses for their synthetic.
Just looking to do it right and use better stuff if it is widely believed to be better.
Dennis

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
it would be interesting to know what the two choices were that the 1st dealer was quoting. what is the synthetic brand? what is the non synthetic brand?

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
Found some good stuff about Toyota WS ATF while browsing the web. A couple MSDS documents from two different companies and also a TSB regarding the switch to use the WS ATF. Of course after I found all of the documents attached, I went to BIOG and discovered a thread that had just about all the same information. Makes me thinks me should've gones there firsts.
Here's the thread: bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1165056

Disclaimer: All of the documents below were found using Google Search. I do not claim them as my own nor were they purchased from Toyota by myself.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts