Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I have a 2005 4WD double cab Tundra with 29000 miles. I am costumed on replacing transmission fluid on my vehicles every 30K miles. I have heard that 2005 and 2006 models do not have an Automatic Transmission filter but a strainer. Could anybody certify this for me?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I know he really appreciated the reminder he posted on wrong page but you could have at least tried to help? :eek: I guess a stab at trying to answer his question was too hard for ya?:tu: :tu:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know he really appreciated the reminder he posted on wrong page but you could have at least tried to help? :eek: I guess a stab at trying to answer his question was too hard for ya?:tu: :tu:
IMHO no advice is better than bad advice, maybe he doesnt know that there is a 1st. gen page! Maybe you should take a stab at it yourself!!:tu: :tu: :) :eek:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
:confused: I have a 2005 4WD double cab Tundra with 29000 miles. I am costumed on replacing transmission fluid on my vehicles every 30K miles. I have heard that 2005 and 2006 models do not have an Automatic Transmission filter but a strainer. Could anybody certify this for me?

Thanks in advance.
Simple fix, take it to Toyota dealership and tell them to change your fluid and strainer and make sure it's a new one. Best way to make sure they drop pan and change strainer is to ask for old parts back and mark a couple Tranny pan bolts with a scribe just to be sure the pan was removed! They will try their best to talk you outta doing the fluid change since its a synthetic fluid to start with and i would wait myself to about 50K Minimum before i did it! WS ATF is expensive and nothing wrong with doing advanced change, but not required by toyota! seems your costumed state has ruffled feathers on the new forum and i am a proud 06 DC owner and enjoy listening to the 07 forum because they are very consumed with we are better than yall and get off of our page? There are a group of other toyota required items to do at 30K and even more if ya tow with it and more if it's a 4x4 Toyota Parts and Service:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
You would think dealerships would all be on the same page concerning proper and necessary maintenance.

A while back I was at my dealership getting the battery swapped out under warranty and asked about the tranny fluid. Truck had almost 40k at the time. I was told the 2005 did not ever need a tranny fluid change and in fact there was no way to change it. They didn't mention filters or strainers or whatever. Sounded like total BS to me as I am also accustomed to tranny fluid changes at approx 30k. I didn't bother to argue with them. I have almost 50k on the truck now and still don't know what to do concerning the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
You would think dealerships would all be on the same page concerning proper and necessary maintenance.

A while back I was at my dealership getting the battery swapped out under warranty and asked about the tranny fluid. Truck had almost 40k at the time. I was told the 2005 did not ever need a tranny fluid change and in fact there was no way to change it. They didn't mention filters or strainers or whatever. Sounded like total BS to me as I am also accustomed to tranny fluid changes at approx 30k. I didn't bother to argue with them. I have almost 50k on the truck now and still don't know what to do concerning the tranny fluid.
Replacement Parts Catalog Here is a strainer/Filter wich all models use and they have not changed them or their design for years and myself will change it at 50K. If you do not change you will be leaving residual junk inside filter on strainer screen. Years ago everyone just took them off and washed them out with a solvent and made sure screens were clean. Now they want you to just do a fluid flush which i have issues with and since it belongs to me i would just tell them what you want! you are the customer and they will take advantage of you as quick as you let them!! Big deal is finding a Tech that is on the same page as you!!:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
From what I have read on these boards, the 05/06 tranny oil doesnt need to be changed. There is no required tranny oil change in my maintenance chart (to 120k). There is a check hole and a fill hole if you have a leak and need to add. If you dont have the scheduled maintenance guide for your truck, you can go to toyota.com and get it from there.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
supposed to be inspected every 30K and changed at 120K if you tow:clown:
Toyota Parts and Service just enter your info and it explains scheduled maintenance pretty well, and my take on 120K on any fluid is BS, i will stick to my change intervals!! money well spent!:shockeda:

·
Registered
267 Posts
If its still under warranty, then its money wasted. (my extended warranty is 100K). If changing your tranny fluid every 30k makes you feel good, then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 05' Sequoia, and tow a 5000 lb travel trailer around all summer with wife and 4 boys. Every spring we hit the dealership and for 129.99 I get the full trans service which is a full flush, drop pan, replace screen. I'll continue to spend a little on peace of mind than hope me and the fam don't get stranded somewhere because I was cheap. Not to mention living in Utah we have some long steep pulls, and my baby gets babied.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
30K is kinda early but i figured to cut my cycle in half say 50 to 60K along with plugs and antifreeze! I know they make better fluids these days but i find it hard to let fluids go as long as they tell ya to! plus even with extended warrantry if your stuff fails at 101K you are SOL! new tranny or engines are expensive!:yo:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi everyone. I am considering using Wolfshead Dextron 3, or 4 for a 2001 Tundra 4x4 limited. Has anyone used wolf synthetic transmission fluid for the 4.7 after 50k + and, noticed easier shift points at near 400hp which with unichip, and new headers, y-pipe and other natural aspiration is where I am now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts