Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2005 tundra original belt at 370,000 miles I’ve looked over and watched numerous videos about timing marks I’m gonna put belt on with crank at 50 degrees and cams at the t marks but my question if my procedure is right do I turn the crank counter clockwise before putting back together or just put on marks and tensioner will fix the after turning clockwise

·
Registered
617 Posts
The 1A Auto You Tube videos on changing out those Timing Belts is very clear and informative and worth watching even if you don't plan on doing the job yourself. I am a "gotta see it" guy and appreciated both the videos and getting a better understanding of how it all works. Chap

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure I understand the OP question. But I think I might know what he's talking about. When you go to put the new belt on, the distance between the cams is the same as if the belt has tension on it as the tensioner takes up slack between crank and left(?... passenger) cam. So it's difficult to put it on without creating some slack. You can turn the the crank (or the other cam?) CCW if I remember correctly (it's been a while) to create this slack so the belt goes on in the right position. If you don't have this slack, it naturally wants to line up one tooth off because you can't pull the belt tight enough by hand. I think the Aisin kit might have even had this tip in it. Or my haynes manual or something. I know I saw it somewhere. But maybe I'm completely wrong about what he's talking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts