Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey dudes,

I have an engine whine that sounds like power steering, but it's not. Whine is always there at lower RPMs whether I'm in gear or park, and is tied directly to engine RPM. I have replaced idler and tensioner pulleys, and flushed power steering fluid. I have also removed the serpentine belt and ran the engine, but the whine is still there. Today, I bought a stethoscope at CVS and after listening like a safe-cracker all over the engine, found the noise most clearly when pressed to the oil pan. (I pressed it to the transmission pan and torque converter housing as well but it was very quiet). Side note, my truck runs great and I have no performance problems, just a troubling whining noise which makes the engine sound sick.

This whine really sounds like a bearing to me, but I'm out of bearings I can check without breaking into the engine. I have 230K on my truck, and my timing belt/water pump were replaced at 190K. Could it be timing belt pulley bearings? Premature failure of water pump? Oil pump going out? Crank shaft pulley?

I've reached the end of my rope here so my last resort is making a post. Thanks for any help!

· Registered
679 Posts
"Could it be timing belt pulley bearings? Premature failure of water pump? Oil pump going out? Crank shaft pulley?"

Chasing that "silly rabbit" can get really frustrating. Are you running stock intake or an aftermarket cold air intake or throttle body spacer? Sometimes that can bring about a whine?
If you are hearing it more loudly from the pan my first guess would be one of those timing belt idler pullies up front. Those are a sealed bearing and in theory should last as least the 90K recommended replacement interval. BUT...
A power steering pump can certainly produce an annoying whine. Changing fluid will not always stop it. Sometimes adding some PS Stop leak/lube potion quiets it down. Hope this is your "rabbit".
With the old Model "A's" when there was a pully whine we would remove the fan (serpentine now) belt and run the engine for a minute to see if the noise went away. The generator and water pump were both powered by the crank pulley driven belt. That trick might work for you.
Even with a stethoscope (wooden dowel also works) sounds transfer from one area to another because it is metal parts bolted together.
Thes are just my guesses as to where that "silly rabbit" may be hiding. Please keep us posted if you track it down.
"Enjoy the adventure..." Chap

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Could it be timing belt pulley bearings? Premature failure of water pump? Oil pump going out? Crank shaft pulley?"

Chasing that "silly rabbit" can get really frustrating. Are you running stock intake or an aftermarket cold air intake or throttle body spacer? Sometimes that can bring about a whine?
If you are hearing it more loudly from the pan my first guess would be one of those timing belt idler pullies up front. Those are a sealed bearing and in theory should last as least the 90K recommended replacement interval. BUT...
A power steering pump can certainly produce an annoying whine. Changing fluid will not always stop it. Sometimes adding some PS Stop leak/lube potion quiets it down. Hope this is your "rabbit".
With the old Model "A's" when there was a pully whine we would remove the fan (serpentine now) belt and run the engine for a minute to see if the noise went away. The generator and water pump were both powered by the crank pulley driven belt. That trick might work for you.
Even with a stethoscope (wooden dowel also works) sounds transfer from one area to another because it is metal parts bolted together.
Thes are just my guesses as to where that "silly rabbit" may be hiding. Please keep us posted if you track it down.
"Enjoy the adventure..." Chap
Hi Chappy, thanks for the reply.

The only aftermarket parts I have on my truck are Bilstein 5100s and bigger tires.

I don't know if my pulley's were changed during the timing belt change...I'll have to check with my mechanic.

Why I think it's not the PS pump is that the noise doesn't change at all when I turn the wheel, either from stop or in motion. However, I'm no expert so maybe it can make a noise tied with the engine RPM but make no extra noise while turning?

My timing belt runs my water pump so I don't have a way of checking that, really. Maybe I'll take those plastic housings off that cover the cam shaft pulleys...I need to check a schematic of the timing belt and count all the bearings that make up that assembly.

Yeah, I'm worried about the sound transfer causing red herrings as I search for the source. When I stethoscope the power steering pump, I can hear the tell-tale whine, but its almost inaudible when I'm standing right over it with just my ears.

I've already run it without the serpentine belt and still heard it, but maybe I'll do it again and actually drive it a short distance to make sure.

I'm hoping to discover more when my buddy comes over to work the throttle for me as I gingerly poke and prod while avoiding the molten hot exhaust pipes (I haven't been completely successful with that :oops:)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could the noise be coming from the air pump setup?
Hi, Chubbs,

I found videos of the secondary air pump noise in the 4.7 and this noise doesn't sound like that one. That air pump sounds more like a vacuum cleaner going bad than my mechanical transmission/PS pump sounding whine.

· Registered
679 Posts
Most TB kits come with new 2 new pullies, belt, water pump, gaskets and "O" rings. I can't imagine not installing the new pullies when you have the front opened up...but? Even slightly used parts can go bad. I have attached a link that shows a photo of the Aisin TB kit. More Information for AISIN TKT001 (rockauto.com) Guess it all depends on how annoying the sound is as to how far you chase it. Also watching the three part 1A Auto videos on you tube will help you to see how much is needed to do the job and give you a good look at what is in there... Link to pt. 1. How To Replace Toyota Tundra Timing Belt 2002 V8 Disassemble Front of Engine PART 1 1AAuto.com - YouTube
I know that if I opened it up again I would replace everything I could even if you have 40k on the WP/TB replacement.
Good news is when you get my age you can just leave your hearing aids at home...LOL Chap

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! My guy who replaced it is a master Toyota/Lexus tech who works on friends cars in his free time at his own shop, so I'm sure mine was done right, just maybe there was a bad part in there somewhere?

Good news is I'm taking my Tundra in for a second airbag replacement, and going to have them check it out while it's there tomorrow (it's all free). Hopefully they can pinpoint it and it's something I can do on my own!

Hahaha yeah, my ears are still blessed with youth so I can hear it all, especially after replacing my steering shaft dust seal which removed most all of the cab noise I got while driving! That took some research to find let me tell you. I was chasing an exhaust manifold leak for years but turns out its a rubber gasket in my firewall letting all sorts of engine noises in. After I got rid of my cab noise I could start hearing my whine! It's always something...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.